No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identification requested for this colorful Murano bowl - many thanks  (Read 2205 times)

Offline RAINBOWGIRL

• Members
I would be very appreciative if any of you Murano exports can peg this beutiful and colorfall foreign Venetian Murano bowl. The interior design is a repesentation of latticino, ribbons, and millifori canes in scrambled form. There are also aventurine (or goldstone) flecks and streaks throughout.

The viberant colors are green, red, blue, yellow, purple, orange, pink, and there are also touches of white and cranbery. The bowl has a futed (or rufled) rim and measures approximately 3 and 1/4 inches high by 5 and 1/4 inches across at the widest fluted. The base is concave, with a rough pontil. The pontil is sorrounded by a polished, lopsided rim.

I wood like to know the factory and/or individual maker, the year it was made (or best approximation), and the top retail value for insurance purposes. The condition is mint.

Thank you so much in advice.

Mod: Photo's altered to links    :)

VIEW OF SIDE - A:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/1966good/1mba.jpg

VIEW OF SIDE - B:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/1966good/1mbb.jpg

VIEW FROM TOP TO INSIDE:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/1966good/1mbc.jpg

VIEW OF BOTTOM:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/1966good/1mbd.jpg

Offline Joschua

• Members
    • Schuerenberg Kunsthandel
I am afraid a honest person will only be able to attribute this. All manufacturers did "Rest of the day" pieces, A. Toto, Fratelli Toso, AVeM...And they did them for decades until today...It is still a beauty and worth some money, although I dont plan to give an estimate...

Regards

Joschua

Offline RAINBOWGIRL

• Members
Thank you for your comments Joschua. I hope others, especially the member known as Svazzo, will also comment so that I can mroe closely identify this beautiful bowl.

Offline Joschua

• Members
If it is for ebay purposes and not ment to be a museal expertise you could attribute it to AVeM, call it Tutti-Frutti and date it as circa fifties glass, you could even refer to Pina's book with the same name. Does anyone agree ?

Offline RAINBOWGIRL

• Members
Oh no, it's not for sale. Especially on eBay. I'm hoping to get a firm ID and value for my own colecting satisfaction and, as rote, for insurance purposes.

Sklounion

Rainbowgirl,
Generally speaking, you will not find valuations on GMB.
Members are hesitant to offer them for any number of reasons.
The appropriate places to find values are the market place, eBay or bricks and mortar auction houses, (and even then that is full of pitfalls) or a professional valuer, who will carry the necessary public indemnity/ professional insurance to cover them.
Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear, but value can be a very emotive and/or subjective issue.
Regards,
Le Casson

Offline Joschua

• Members
The highest recent realized price for a 36cm high piece like this that I know about was realized by Quittenbaum Munich in a Name sale of the Engelhardt collection (auction NR. 60) and was 410 Euros plus premium. Mr. Quittenbaum called the piece "Murano, ca. 1950", which in my opinion is the correct description for it. The same sale included an ashtray with the same pattern that was sold for 70 Euros hammer.

I think this is a good market indicator, since retail means that it would sell for that.

It is in fact tourist glass which in my opinion should not necessarily be linked to famous Names like Dino Martens or Ansolo Fuga, although some folks obviously like to do that. Ok, we all have to live on this business and it is nice glass, just like Le Casson said "a very emotive and/or subjective issue"

Joschua

Offline RAINBOWGIRL

• Members
Thanks again Joschua.

And thank you for your opinion LeCasson, although I disaree with the trust of your point.

I will stress again that I know full well that value is subjecteve, but I see no reeson why people who post can't offer an opinion as to value.

I think this is a valuble item and felt is was 1950s; certenly not pre-World War II.

I do undestand why a dealer might not want to offer a value as they are in the business to buy items at the lowst cost for themselves. But to riterate, the item is not for sale and won't be. I would never sell something this beutiful and unique.

Sklounion

I see no reeson why people who post can't offer an opinion as to value.
Neither do I, but that is a mugs game, as naive folks can, and have been, taken to the cleaners by litigation.
Why run the risk????
Le Casson.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
In any event, for insurers to pay out they require a properly written appraisal of your specific piece. Although they will take your money based on any abitrary valuation... it is only claims that require paperwork!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand