No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Liskeard Glass Paperweight? Can anyone confirm?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline stevetheb

• Members
Liskeard Glass Paperweight? Can anyone confirm?
« on: May 20, 2007, 05:08:39 PM »
http://www.kammneves.co.uk/glass/pw1.jpg
http://www.kammneves.co.uk/glass/pw2.jpg

I gained this paperweight along with a story that it was made at Liskeard glass by an Ex-whitefriars employee in his lunchtime. Remembering that I live in Liskeard and was given it by a local - Do's this seem feasible? or does the style suggest something else.  The bottom isn't marked but has a pontil mark.

I'd love to have some pointers/info.

Steve - Sunny Liskeard/Cornwall

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Liskeard Glass Paperweight? Can anyone confirm?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 05:16:02 PM »
The story you got is quite feasible, make a note about and keep it under the weight.

Use 'Search Messages' using "friggers" this will give you a lot of reading material about this time honoured practise.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stweights

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »
I have a few Liskeard paperweights  :angel: all of them are monographed on the base LG.
I would have to say after looking at your pics that your weight isn't a Vintage Liskeard weight but it might be a Merlin Glass paperweight for Liskeard Cornwall.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
Hi Stevetheb

Have you popped into the Merlin glass shop in Barn St. - its on the left as you head away from Windsor Place - next to some large blue doors.

I was there at Easter and there is a cabinet in the shop with lots of early  Liskeard items - worth checking out. Your weight looks to have some age and I have a feeling there are some weights in the cabinet similar to yours also without the LG impressed mark.

Liam Carey the current owner of the business has been involved in it since the mid 1970's only a couple of years after it was set up and may well be able to shed some light

Regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stevetheb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:07:38 PM »
Theres an idea - I'll go and have a peek on Monday...

Thanks Derek

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand