No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chalet Glass or Murano?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Chalet Glass or Murano?
« on: June 19, 2005, 06:54:32 PM »
First of all, apologies to the forum member who gave a really useful link showing examples of Chalet glass. :oops:   I couldn't remember which thread it was, otherwise I would have added it to that one.   I think my vase could be Chalet - it looks similar to ones shown but just wondered what anyone else thought?  For some reason, which I can't explain,  call it a gut reaction, I don't think its Murano - but I could be wrong :roll:
Thanks.
Regards - Anne :lol:
http://tinypic.com/65pkiq
Anne E.B

planetglass

Chalet Glass or Murano?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 12:26:49 AM »
I think you're right Ann, about it not being from Murano. I would guess relatively recent Bohemian glass. They do a lot of this gloopy looking glass. A lot of their production looks like, and is mistaken for, 1950s Italian "sommerso" glass.  One tip off is a more rounded, asymetrical look. Some of the Bohemian pieces, though, are practically the same as those from Italy.

Laura
http://planetglass.net

BTW: sign-in does not seem to work for me anymore. I log in, but it still posts me as "guest."

Offline Leni

• Members
Chalet Glass or Murano?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 07:53:27 AM »
Quote from: "planetglass"
BTW: sign-in does not seem to work for me anymore. I log in, but it still posts me as "guest."

The login is erratic, Laura.  Check the top of the page after you sign in and if it says 'Log out [ planetglass ]' then you are logged in.  If not, log in again.  The second time usually gets it   :roll:

Leni
Leni

Connie

Chalet Glass or Murano?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 08:13:34 AM »
Anne -

Here is the Chalet Glass site

You don't mention the height of yours but #475 looks similar.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Chalet Glass or Murano?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 04:56:09 PM »
Thanks Laura  for your help and advice. :D   Murano/Chalet/Bohemian???? Its all very confusing to the beginner!   I wouldn't be surprised if a fair old bit of glass is desribed/sold as Murano when most likely it isn't.  Whether this is intentional or not ? -  I'll pass on that one!   However, speaking from personal experience, a seller recently told me "It's Mooooorahnooooo you knowww!!!"  (a bit hard to get the intonation right!!!)  The "Made in Japan" sticker on the base was a bit of a give-away! :roll:  The cheeky chuff! :?

Leni - its about time we had an emoticon for Log in Gremlins don't you think!  :mrgreen: :twisted:

Quote from: "grayhorse"
Anne -

Here is the Chalet Glass site

You don't mention the height of yours but #475 looks similar.

Thanks for the link Connie :) .  There are some pretty wild pieces of glass - very flamboyant! - and I LOVE it!   #475 is very similar to mine, but mine is is a bit more angular, with three sides and ending in three points.  The red bleeds into the thick base, making it appear orange.   It measures 8.25" high.

Here's to my next piece of Moooooorahnooooo, Bohemian and hopefully Chalet glass :wink:
Regards - Anne.
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand