No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ronald Stennett-Wilson?? ID: Very likely Moretti  (Read 9678 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Ronald Stennett-Wilson?? ID: Very likely Moretti
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:34:15 AM »
Pictured here are two pieces I recieved as Christmas gifts  

http://tinypic.com/4r9m55  A friend suggested they reminded him of Ronald Stennett-Wilson designs. Living in the middle of the United States and learning that Stennett-Wilson was English I thought maybe someone would have more info. Thanks Terry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 10:47:34 AM »
:D Hi Terry, The green piece looks very like a "Brancaster" candlestick with a lid added, also like a fruit bowl (but with a lid added) by Stennet-Wilson, both pictured on p.267 of Miller's Collectables Guide 2004. There's a different candlestick on p.311 of the 2005 Guide that looks a similar colour. I can see where your friend was coming from. Cheers, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Ronald Stennett-Willson
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 09:37:22 AM »
Hi Terry,

Does the green tall stemmed piece have a hollow stem?

Nigel

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 09:53:16 AM »
Nigel, The stem on the green pc. is solid, not hollow. Terry

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
Ronald Stennett-Willson?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 10:03:08 AM »
Terry,

Then it is almost certainly NOT a piece by Stennett-Willson, since the stem should be hollow. Furthermore, I do not recognise the brown colouring of the other piece as from any of the Stennett-Willson ranges.

The search continues...........................

Nigel

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 10:07:57 AM »
I didn't like to add a comment, because I can't add anything useful   :oops: ...but can I say I love the green piece especially?  There's almost something space-age-retro about it, the way it hovers on it's thin stem - surely it's a 70's piece?

Whatever.  I think it's pretty classy.   :D  :D

Max <~~loving the 60's/70's look!
I am not a man

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 05:51:39 PM »
Definately 70s - fashion for both the lime green and the chocolate brown came to an abrupt end in the late 70s.

The "turned wood" style of the knob on  the brown piece is strange and looks kind out of place in an otherwise modern style. A similar style can be seen on a blue tazza ref RSW52 on page 22 of the King's Lynn 2004 exhibition catalogue.That piece has a central bauble.

I like the uncompromising straight sided form. The lids too look distinctive.

Terry have you exhausted exquiries as to possible US manufacture ?

Do I dectect a thin line in the green stem ? Could that be hollow ? or just a trick of the light ? Were these thin stemmed forms widely copied Nigel ?

I have a piece that looks superficially like a simpler form of RSWs wide bowl candlestick.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/avalonsmile/Sell%20Avalon/P3199052.jpg
Did these also have hollow stems ?
Looking closely at mine holding it length ways the very centre is clear ...so I guess that means it is !
But does that mean mine is RSW ? Wedgewood ?

Can anyone recommend a book on Wuidart, Lymmington, King's Lynn, Wedgewood RSW ?
Pete

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 06:51:43 PM »
I've had a lovely afternoon rooting through books  :D , and found some Morgantown candlesticks and a compote that are similar with their flat sides and buckety looks.  Could Morgantown be a possibility?  :)  :?
I am not a man

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 10:51:48 AM »
Thanks to you all for your input. I have one book on Morgantown and that is a possiblity. As Nigel put it, "The search continues." Terry

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
Ronald Stennett-Willson
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 10:54:59 AM »
The "turned wood" style of the knob on the brown piece is strange and looks kind out of place in an otherwise modern style. A similar style can be seen on a blue tazza ref RSW52 on page 22 of the King's Lynn 2004 exhibition catalogue.That piece has a central bauble.

The bauble (knop) that you mention from the stemmed fruit bowl is hollow. The finials on both Terry's pieces seem to be solid and to my mind are too 'mean' (or small scale) to be by RSW. With the other contrary features (wrong colour/ lids/ solid stem) it suggests that perhaps the intial thought about RSW might be wrong.

Currently there is no one book on the subject of Wuidart, Leamington, Kings Lynn, Wedgwood, RSW. Oh, by the way two "N's", two "T's" and two "L's" in Ronald Stennett-Willson. I had to be told, so I thought I'd flag that one up. :)

The exhibition catalogue " Ronald Stennett-Willson, Glass Design 1954 - 1980" is the only publication that gives a representative history with photos. There is information in Sally Tobin's book "Wedgwood Glass" Tobin, 2001, in Ronald Stennett-Willson's "Modern Glass", Studio Vista, London 1975 and in "20th Century Factory Glass", Lesley Jackson, Mitchell Beazley, London 2000.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand