No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ronald Stennett-Wilson?? ID: Very likely Moretti  (Read 9687 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 11:56:20 AM »
An update is in order. Yes Peter I have now exhausted all my resources on an American Manufacturer. They just don't  look "right" for Morgantown to me and I am leaning toward the possibility that they are Italian. I have other pieces that I am almost certain are Italian from the 70s with the same sort of thin solid stem. One in particular comes to mind in yellow glass and if I can find the pic will post it here. Thanks Terry.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 01:09:47 PM »
Thank you Nigel for your thoughts on Terry's items and for the book refs.
Any about my candle holder  ?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/avalonsmile/Sell%20Avalon/P3199052.jpg

The exhibition catalogue you mention and which I referred to in my last post is pretty slim ...with v few photos !!! There's no explanation with the pics. Some colors look v diffuse but I can't tell if the glass is frosted / satin or not. No satin candle holders are shown.

I looked up Kings Lynn in Factory Glass but learned nothing new. I guess I should get the Tobin book ....(Not available on Amazon) but all I have so far, for sure is one paperweight and the few items I like in the catalogue, I've never seen for sale and doubt if I could afford them anyway.

I have also looked up all the refs to RSW and Wedgewood in your book and re- read the article at http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/Wedgwoodglass.html. I've also done internet image searches on various combinations of RSW, Wedgewood,  
King's Lynn etc.

One ref in my searches baffles me. On your website at http://www.20thcentury-glass.com/glass/english/powell/powell-intro.htm?id=2 this ref "Henry Dunn-Cooke who ran the firm of Elferson, which acted as importers of Wuidart"
I was under the impression  that Wuidart were importers themselves ....... ?
Pete

Offline rbm6167

• Members
Ronald Stennett-Willson
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 08:40:32 AM »
There is such a lack of information on Ronald Stennett-Willson - one of our foremost designers - that this could be a worthwhile (and lucrative) project for someone, especially while the great man is still with us. His glass has become even more collectable of late with many people wanting to find out more about his work and designs. Ah that I were retired (or rich!) I might have taken on the project myself.

John

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Ronald Stennett-Willson
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 09:22:01 PM »
You are quite right about the slimness of the catalogue, but for now, better than nothing!

Susan Tobin's book does have a bias toward the Wegdwood animal paperweights and commerative style wares, etc. Sadly, there is not so much about the art glass wares.

There was a long weekend meeting held by the Glass Association last year at Kings Lynn to coincide with the launch of the exhibition. Graham Cooley, whose collection was the focus of the the exhibition, interviewed Ronnie. Apparently it was quite extraordinary and spellbinding experience for the audience.

I don't believe that the cobalt blue candlestick is a Stennett-Willson design. I am not aware of any candlesticks by him that have an etched surface.

Lastly, thank you for drawing attention to my confused comment on the website. If I can get my web master to instigate the changes I will sort that one out! :oops:

Nigel

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 08:02:11 PM »
Terry ! Update !
Looks like my last guess might be near the mark
see here and spot the similarities
http://www.sindelarandobrien.com/red_lidded/red-lidded.htm
Pete

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2005, 08:08:21 AM »
Thanks Peter, I am sure you have come up with the answer. The thinness of the glass, the elongated stem point to Italian. I have a couple of other pcs. that have the same structure and have assumed Italian for them. So barring anyone else with more info, we can lay these two to rest. Again they were a gift, now where to display them? Terry

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 06:42:36 AM »
For me the first similarity I noticed was the knob.

It's a shame that usually when importers and particularly "branders"  like Raymor are involved, the identity of the manufacturer seem to get lost forever.He we have a "probably Moretti for Raymor" attribution by the seller which seems about right and implies Murano manufactue unless Moretti has factories elsewhere ?

The quality of these looks good to me and other quality glassware of suspected but unspecified Italian make has been seen on this board, along with a lot which was made for mass markets.

This also may be a good place to note our recent discovery that Carlo Moretti did designs for Pilgrim Glass in it's latter days.
Pete

Connie

Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2005, 08:39:19 AM »
This also may be a good place to note our recent discovery that Carlo Moretti did designs for Pilgrim Glass in it's latter days.

Peter - I *think* that it was Roberto Moretti who worked at Pilgrim Glass.

Popular 50's & 60s Glass by Pina has some nice pictures of "Venetian" style glass animals designed by Moretti and there are copies of the actual catalog pages from 1969-72.

This is out of my area but ...  from what I have been able to gather by internet searches, Alessandro and Roberto Moretti were brothers from the renown Moretti family who immigrated to the US. They settled in West Virginia, the area rich in glass factories.  Roberto worked for Pilgrim.

Moretti Bros.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 12:36:42 PM »
Thank you Connie and thank you for the link.

Another of similar style here and a new name to me

Alrose Murano Italian Art Glass Yellow Covered Dish
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=994&item=7332187332

Note: Good pic of label which does NOT say Murano
Pete

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Ronald Stennett-Wilson??
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 12:53:31 AM »
Yes I did notice it doesn't say Murano, but I think we are on the right track thinking Italy.
I have to comment on the colors, yellow and ameythist. Almost like my High School colors of Purple and gold, not a combo found too much in glass. Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand