No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kjellander - A company or designer for Kosta?  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Kjellander - A company or designer for Kosta?
« on: May 08, 2005, 03:22:43 PM »
I was just about to list an item, when I realised that I didn't have enough information.  This is signed Kjellander 395-159.  The trouble is, I thought Kjellander was a Swedish company, but Ivo's book say's Lars Kjellander worked for Kosta, but Smoke & Ice don't mention Lars Kjellander as a designer for Kosta and don't list Kjellander as a company.

I'm quite confused!

I've another vase identical that I'm going to keep - so it would be lovely to know what's what!  Can anyone help?

http://tinypic.com/50fale
http://tinypic.com/50fame
  Mod: Links dead
I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 04:15:44 PM »
From what I've read about him, Max, he was a designer at Kosta from 1881-1925. After that he is said by one source I read (I can't recall where though - sorry!) that he left Kosta because of ill health. The second source (Miller's Glass of the 20's and 30's, by Frankie Leibe) says that after 1925 he became a freelance engraver. Hope this helps. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 09:47:55 PM »
Thank you Anne.  It definitely all helps!  I'm hoping to piece together a bit more about him, but it's hard to know where to start.     :?  :roll:
I am not a man

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Kjellanders
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 02:28:23 PM »
The Kjellanders were copper wheel engravers who worked at Kosta for a number of years. He left Kosta
and set up his own cold working shop.
His copper wheel engraved forms were done on blanks
purchased from Kosta and other glass works in Sweden.
There is a great deal of his copper wheel engraved glass in America and I have seen plenty of it all over the States.
Eleonor Kjellander owns a first class glass gallery in Stockholm called Noriska Kristall with two locations.
Eleonor's gallery in one of a few galleries in Sweden supporting Swedish glass.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 03:53:57 PM »
There is a great deal of his copper wheel engraved glass in America and I have seen plenty of it all over the States.

Wow, thanks for all that information Bill.  I'm making a note in my book for future reference.  Unsurprisingly, I bought two of these vases from the States, although they were mis-attributed - so it does all ring true.

Thanks for taking the time to help.   :D   xx    :D
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand