No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Percival, Yates and Vickers Butter - does it match?  (Read 4741 times)

Offline nicola

• Members
Percival, Yates and Vickers Butter - does it match?
« on: April 28, 2005, 04:22:43 PM »
Hi Gang,
I recently bought a butter dish on eBay  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7316257007&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
and I was wondering if you could help me because I don't know that much about P, Y &V.
The base has a lozenge (18 August 1865 ) and it has a blown and cut top.  They only registered four designs during this time, and I think that they used to mix blown and pressed glass, so I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a matching lid and base.   I have this niggling feeling that maybe it would have a lid with a matching registration lozenge too.

The seller was quite certain that they matched, so if it doesn't I'll let him know (that and the chip on the lid!).

As always, I look forward to hearing from you!
Nicola

Offline GLASSMAN

• Members
BUTTER DISH
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 05:10:09 PM »
Hi Nicola
Not quite sure where to start with an answer so excuse if i ramble a bit.
P.Y & V pressed 'lead' glass as opposed to the 'flint' glass of the N.E.  In addition they also did quite a lot of decorative cutting and also sold blanks for cutting by others.  Their finished items were of extremely high quality and in some cases are easily mistaken for cut glass.
Without a clearer picture it is difficult to assess wether the lid is pressed and cut or a totally seperate item which does not match. I would certainley be concerned if the lid did not have the same pattern around its rim as the base does, whilst the exclusion of a lozenge mark in the lid does not mean it is a mis-match, if added to a lack of rim pattern and a suspect blown glass lid ,.... I would begin to wonder.   OOOps just found a pic for this pattern, sorry about the quality, but its bad news Im afraid.
As you can see the lid is very different......sorry :cry:
http://tinypic.com/4rdqub"
Rod
FOUNDER OF THE PRESSED GLASS COLLECTORS CLUB. A POSTAL BASED CLUB WITH AN INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP

Offline nicola

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 05:48:30 PM »
Hi Rod,
Thanks for such a prompt reply

I have checked the lozenge and it is definitely 18 August 1865 but as you can see from the photos it is nothing like that butter.  How strange!

Here is a pic of the lid http://www.pressedintime.com/pictsphotos/P4280121b.jpg

and here is the base
http://www.pressedintime.com/pictsphotos/P4280122a.jpg

Do you have any ideas?
Nicola

Offline GLASSMAN

• Members
BUTTER DISH
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 06:05:27 PM »
Hi Nicola
If the base is as flat as indicated in your pic I would suggest it is a muffin dish base of the same lozenge, although registered as a butter it would have been adapted to other items. The lid is a def mis-match and looks as you said blown & cut.

A pic of the item you are querying is on your own website under the P.V. page

Regards
rod
FOUNDER OF THE PRESSED GLASS COLLECTORS CLUB. A POSTAL BASED CLUB WITH AN INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: butter/muffin
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 10:19:29 PM »
Quote from: GLASSMAN
A pic of the item you are querying is on your own website under the P.V. page.

Except that Nicola has the details shown under her photo as "A acid etched butter dish registered 18 January 1865" - which is a different date to that given by Nicola for the other lozenge. Perhaps this could be double-checked to see if it's part of what's causing the confusion?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 07:45:06 AM »
Hi nicola GLASSMAN & Anne

If you look in Jenny Thomson " The Identification of English Pressed Glass" 1842-1908

The chapter for Percival, Yates & Vickers; page 47. 1865 3 items were registered 18th January sugar and cream ( large star pattern grouped around middle) 12th March Comport (similar) and 18th August Butter dish (sunburst pattern on base, ribbed rim)

On page 68 top photo No 34 Percival, Yates & Vickers 18 August 1865 Covered butter dish in frosted glass.

The lid is a plain frosted glass dome with no decoration.

Hope this is of some help.

Tony H

Offline GLASSMAN

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 08:18:51 AM »
Well spotted Tony, given the handle on the photo it is obvious that this is a mismatch. Nicola was also concerned that her pic of the base was flatter (it was also in clear glass) even though it had the lozenge. I suspect this is the base for a muffin dish of the same design and that it was also available frosted or plain......doesnt get away from the fact that it is a mis-match though...sorry nicola :cry:

Offline nicola

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:04:39 PM »
Hi All,
Well, I didn't put two and two together on that one :roll: a brain dead day I afraid.
I checked all of the little tags I keep from when I buy the glass and the date that was on the piece was in fact for January, however that can't be right can it, because the January design is of the really heavy cut stars, and is shown on page 72 of the Thompson book.  So my date on the site is wrong - never trust those dealers ;) and it is in fact the August date instead like the photo that Rod uploaded.

However, looking at the butter dish and the base of the muffin dish (it is now obvious that the top doesn't match), it doesn't have any similarities at all, not even down to the ribbing and the slight curl on the edge...

Anyway, I am off to change the site and send a polite mail to the seller.
Thanks again :)
Nicola

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand