No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Plate: Handmade in Finland, but by who? - ID = Suomi by Pertti Santalahti  (Read 6455 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Hi all,

Does anyone know who made this plate, please?

Click to enlarge.

It has a tiny clear label with "Handmade in Finland" written on it, in blue.

TIA  ;D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Sklounion

Re: Plate: Handmade in Finland, but by who?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:38:57 PM »
Hi Della,
I cannot explain why exactly, but I know Nuutajarvi Njotso did stuff very much in this style, by Oiva Toikka.
Not saying this is, but there may be a book specifically on that factory's plates that may help.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »

Hi Marcus,  :D

I do have books with Oiva Toikka designs in, and the first thing that I did was look through his items, but I can only find Kastelhelmi, Flora, Fauna & Pioni on the net and his year plates and cubes (and birds, of course) in my books. I have googled his wares until I am blue in the face, but not having any joy, as yet. I was hoping that Robbo might happen along and hopefully shed a little light on it for me  ;D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »
Hi Della,

The pattern may be known as "Paratiisi", Paradise or Eden in Finnish if that helps, and I can find some references to such a plate, as yet no maker.

Any chance of an enlarged label image, please?

Regards,
Marcus

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »

Birger Kaipiainen (1915-1988) designed the pottery tableware "Paradise" for Arabia in the 40's, but on the whole, he designed unique pieces. "Paratiisi" is a design by Iittala, but it is pottery and has just fruits on it.
I will go and look for Eden now, as I just noticed that in your post.
Thanks Marcus  :-*

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 05:45:19 PM »
The only "handmade in Finland" sticker I have is on a cast plate from Humppila, maybe you can ask them they're at shop dot humppila at iittala dot com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 06:16:28 PM »
I have also had that label on items made by Espoon Taidelasi (glass firm in Espoo, Helsinki). Perhaps it's a generic thing?
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 07:09:13 PM »
I was hoping that Robbo might happen along and hopefully shed a little light on it for me  ;D

Hi Della,
I didn't post earlier because I didn't really have much to say ;D Apart from it's a very nice plate!
It's not in "Oiva Toikka: Glass". Another Nuutajärvi designer stylistically could be Kerttu Nurminen. However, I've never seen this design before. And I don't recall seeing a Nuutajärvi piece with this label.

As Ivo says, Humppila did cast textured plates. I've also seen cast suncatchers from Meri Lasi, but IMHO Meri's designs aren't a patch on your plate.

I'd be interested to see a label close-up  ;)

robbo
robbo

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 07:16:33 PM »
As Ivo says, Humppila did cast textured plates. I've also seen cast suncatchers from Meri Lasi, but IMHO Meri's designs aren't a patch on your plate.

Yes, Ivo and Robbo are right - I've had one designed by Pertti Santalahti for Humppila but it was very different to yours which is why I'd not posted about it.  My Humppila plate was like a textured bark effect to the underside (smooth to the top surface) and with an amber centre - it's another name to look at anyway even if just to eradicate from the possibles.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »

Wow, thanks, everyone, Ivo  :-* Glen, Robbo & Pip  ;D  :hug: Certainly a few things for me to look for.

For Robbo, here is the label:

It is a little blurred, sorry  :-[ I have just returned from taking no. 3 son out for a celebratory meal (he can now follow the orientation year for the Dutch army, having passed all of their very stringent tests) and I just had to have a couple of red wines  ::) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand