No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a 1959 Higgins piece or Murano piece?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline pam roybal

• Members
Is this a 1959 Higgins piece or Murano piece?
« on: May 01, 2005, 05:17:58 AM »
This sure looks like a Higgins piece to me, does anybody know if it is? Look at the date it was signed when given away as a gift, I love it! I hope it is a Higgins, I don't any.
http://tinypic.com/4smibl
Pam

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 06:19:41 AM »
we find these in Holland in quite considerable numbers, produced by Flamingo - our local licensee to Bent Glass - and given away as premiums with soap powder coupons in the late fifties and early sixties. It would therefore be probable that your item was produced around the same time by the US Bent glass company - those are the people who brought you printed lace bonbon dishes <insert an emoticon for "shudder" here>.
The gold highlichts in your piece are quite crude and it is quite unlikely that one of the Higginses dunnit - more likely it was someone with a pot of gold coloured paint and too much time.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 02:02:42 PM »
Thank you Ivo for your help. I have been collecting depression glass for many years, I know nothing about art glass,  I need to buy some books. The gold on this piece looked like it was hand painted by the gift giver, but what I like is the year that it was done. I will start looking for US Bent company on the internet to see what I can come up with. I like the piece because of the year it produced.
Pam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand