No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MYSTERY LIDDED JUG - HELP  (Read 4787 times)

Offline GLASSMAN

• Members
MYSTERY LIDDED JUG - HELP
« on: May 02, 2005, 04:40:09 PM »
Someone mentioned in a thread the other day that they bought something for no reason other than they just couldn't leave it, I too have joined the club.
This isn't my area of collecting at all so i am hoping someone can give me a few pointers (a maker would be a godsend) Id settle for date and origin  :lol:
I guess this must be mould blown as the bulges are so symetrical, it has a substantial ground pontil, a fair amount of wear on base and the handle is applied.
The lid has a ground rim.
Any help greatly appreciated.

http://tinypic.com/4tlwz8
http://tinypic.com/4tlyx4
http://tinypic.com/4tlz40
FOUNDER OF THE PRESSED GLASS COLLECTORS CLUB. A POSTAL BASED CLUB WITH AN INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 08:54:24 PM »
I have a similar style jug that I can't ID either. The bulges don't go so far up the jug as yours and the smooth top part is longer on my mine, and no lid, but there is a resemblance I think. I wonder if they are from the same maker?
   Mod: fixed pic link. http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-47
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 09:43:18 PM »
Hi all,

I couldn't find Glassman's pitcher in my books, but I found your pitcher Anne.

It was made by the Seneca Glass Company, of Morgantown, West Virginia and they called that line "Streamline", the design Patent number was "d 60637" and they made this line in 1937.

I don't buy many glass books with price guides in them, since prices tend to be very inflated and are only added to sell the book, so I can't give you a book value on it, sorry.

Mike

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 12:51:18 AM »
Woohoo! Mike thank you, I've been searching for this for months without success. I'd never have thought it came from the USA so that's a real surprise.

I'm not in the least worried about its value I just wanted to know its origin - I bought it because I like it, and it holds a lot! Much more so than any of my other jugs. Thanks again, you've made my day! :)

By the way, would you mind telling me which book you found it in please? I'm trying to build up a collection of glass reference books covering my collection.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline GLASSMAN

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 08:19:31 AM »
Hi Folks
In my search for this jug I have looked at hundreds of pics of varying styles from a broad age range and suprisingly I can't find any with lids?
I am assuming that this is a lemonade/ice tea jug and presuming the lid was because it tended to be used outdoors on sunny days and this stopped any flying bugs getting in.  Others opinions on its use would be appreciated.
Rod
FOUNDER OF THE PRESSED GLASS COLLECTORS CLUB. A POSTAL BASED CLUB WITH AN INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP

Connie

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 08:59:23 AM »
These lidded type jugs or pitchers were made by several US glass companies from about 1910-1930.  Tiffin made a very similar jug to yours but the color doesn't seen right for Tiffin.  I am more familiar with their pale pink and green of that era.  But I am traveling (again) and don't have access to my reference books.

Fenton also made lidded lemonade jugs.

I will  have a look when I get home tomorrow.

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »
Hello again Anne,

The book I used to figure out who made your pitcher is "West Virginia Glass Between the World Wars" by Dean Six. It's a Schiffer publication.

This book is basically a primer for collectors, covering the West Virginia glass companies from that era and their history, so it doesn't cover everything they made, but it does feature examples by each company. The written glass company history parts of this book are the best feature and are well written for the general collector, not the author's peers, which is a common peeve I have with many other American glass book authors, who seem to be more worried about what other glass book authors will think of their creative writing skills and in turn tend to write for other glass book authors instead of the collector.

Anyway;  I found the tumblers that go with your pitcher in the book and a small line drawing of the pitcher itself in a collection of old glass company catalogs I myself own and have been collecting over the years. There are two versions of the pitcher, a tall one like yours and a fat squat version. There is also a tall vase, which is what your pitcher is made from. They added a handle and crimped in a pour spout to make a pitcher out of it, this was done by many of these glass companies.

I tried ten different ways, but I can't get a detailed scan of the old pitcher drawing, it just comes out as a fuzzy gray blob, but here is a picture of the tumblers, so you can see what they look like, in case you ever decide to collect and put together a whole set.

http://tinypic.com/4twmqb

Mike

Hi GLASSMAN,

I agree with Connie that your pitcher does look like a Tiffin model, but the dark amber color is something I would look at Paden City for first, since they seem to have used it more often than the others. I looked through the information I have on hand twice, but I couldn't find that particular pitcher. I did see one that looks similar, but the stacked rings were on the top half and the bottom was plain, other than the paneled design, which yours also has.

Based on what I have to look at;  The lid handles on the covered items all seem to be different for each maker and sometimes this is a good clue. I do see some other Paden City covered dishes that have a lid handle like that on your pitcher, which is a ball over a wafer, so this is only a suggestion and not something I can easily verify, since I don't have info and pictures for everything done by each company, who made items like this.

Would you mind much if I copied or linked your photo to another glass board, where there are folks who collect glass from this era? I would like to find out what it is myself, so I can add it to my own files.

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand