No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Michael Harris 1 of 4 Signed Sculpture  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Michael Harris 1 of 4 Signed Sculpture
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »
Barbara, I really don't have much of an idea why the Isle of Wight people are contacting you anyway - you're not saying it's an IoW piece and their use of the word 'think' doesn't mean they know for sure - it certainly doesn't fill me with confidence in what they're saying either.

I've seen absolutely ridiculous items on eBay being mis-described as all sorts - saying this piece is Mdina is NOT the crime of the century and is based on discussions here amongst people who know what they're talking about - not some old Joe off a market stall who said he thought it might be.  I think their problem is in using the word 'signed' which, because of the rarity of Michael Harris signed items was bound to cause a bit of a stir.  IMO if you list this as a piece of Mdina (and point anyone who disagrees to the thread Della gave) but very clearly describe the engraving as being mechanically done, probably after Michael Harris' time I really don't see what the problem could be or how anyone could do anything.  That is what I would do in your situation.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 10:31:51 PM »
Hi Pip,

Thats what I will do in the morning. I certainly did not say it was IOW at any time, and only put Michael Harris in the title because of the writing on the weight itself.

Will re-list it completly tomorrow under a new listing and new description.

Wish Michael Harris was here to ask personally.

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
Hi Pip and Della,

Have revised the item in question after a nights sleep (sort of as it has played on my mind alot) and I hope it has cleared up all points raised, apart from why it was mechanically marked and by whom.

Thankyou very very much for all your help and support,

Barbara

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 07:03:05 AM »
Hey Barbara  :-*

Please don't let it get to you.  As far as I can see you've done nothing wrong, and I think it's outrageous that you've had those vile ebay messages.  There's a big difference between knowingly setting out to deceive and accidental misinformation.  Some collectors are just so blooming precious it makes my blood boil sometimes!

My personal action would have been to pull the auction entirely until I had more information on the item.  The engraving looks professional and I wonder if Pip might have been right in that it could be some kind of presentation piece?

Anyway Barbara, I'm sorry you've had such a crappy time with it.  You don't deserve it.  Chin up girl!   :hug:
I am not a man

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 07:09:43 AM »

Good morning Barbara,

I can only reiterate everything that Max has said, especially as I am a little at a loss for words over the whole situation.
:hug:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 07:56:46 AM »
Hi Barbara,
sorry to come so late to this - I've been away on family business so have only just got to read the new threads since my return.

I was so sorry to read that you have had these nasty problems,

I have had problems with having Michael Harris' name in the title before, although in this case it was a polite note from Ron and Anne to say that they thought that it was not a MH piece, I took his name out of both title and listing and all was ok, nobody else made a scene.  But then that was a signed Mdina piece, not a problem, only the dating was questionable.  I tend not to put any mention of Michael Harris in the title anymore as these seems to be contentious.

Otherwise, this seems to be very similar to the actions of the Clarice Cliff police  >:(

Nobody is perfect, nobody knows everything, and I do think that the self appointed police should find better things to do with themselves.  I would certainly pull the entire thing, let the people settle back into their seats and turn their attention to someone else and then relist in a few weeks time, with no mention of Michael Harris in the title itself. That seems to be what attracts their attention in the first place.

Mark Hill has said that he believes the piece itself to be good, I would link to that discussion specifically in the listing, saying "read more about this unusual piece which Mark Hill believes to be Mdina"or something, ( I usually link to Mark's site as well, so people can see his experience) and then keep your description of the engraving very factual, making no claims at all, simply saying that it exists.

Duck your head down below the parapet m'dear, and let the snipers go on their way...

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 09:43:51 AM »
You can never be sure without handling a piece how it has been engraved. Dominic Fonde, who is an engraver who happens to be in my studio today, and I have looked at the image for some time ( while we're waiting for a phone call!) and we think the engraving has most likely been done by hand. We are not quite sure what is meant by machine engraving, which is quite a high tech operation.

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 11:00:47 AM »
Dearie me! I agree the signature looks hand done, had it been by machine everything would be even more regular. Obviously by someone who is an accomplished engraver too.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 11:51:36 AM »
 ???

The first piece is very definitely Mdina. It is very definitely not 1/4, as in 1 out of 4 total, because I've seen many more than 4 of these! It is a Michael Harris design, but I believe Mark has said that it's only the very pale ones, where the sea-urchin shape inside is made from the crizzle pattern, that were made while MH was still there. To my knowledge, they come in both blue and brown for a fairly short while after MH left.
I would happily state that it is Mdina, early, but post-Harris. I've not a clue where the "signature" came from, but it's definitely NOT right.

I'm clueless about the second paperweight. I'd send it to IoWSG and ask them. It looks a little like the "Iridacea" pattern, but I'm not a pw person, and do not know if pws were made with "bits on" like this one.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »
In my opinion, whether the engraved name 'Michael Harris' was done by hand or otherwise I don't think it's been done to deceive - in other words, I don't think we're meant to believe it's a signature.  I think there must have been some other reason for it being there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand