No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying new paperweight  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Patricia H

• Members
Help identifying new paperweight
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:47:20 AM »
I know the mailman hates me...I have been ordering paperweights like crazy.  Someone on Ebay was selling her late parents things, and I bought this paperweight.  It is a small millifiori, sorry, I haven't taken pics yet, but the center cane has the letters STK.  It's very small and hard to read.  Maybe it's S & K.   Not sure if I can get it with a photo.  Do those letters sound familiar?  It's also labeled, Made in Scotland on the bottom.
Thank you....Pat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Patricia H

• Members
Re: Help identifying new paperweight
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:49:56 AM »
This might help...the link to the ebay page.

thanks again!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:51:25 AM »

St. Kilda.
You can read a little more about them here

;D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Patricia H

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 10:00:18 AM »
Thank you so much!!!    :) :)
Pat

Offline Patricia H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:05:53 AM »
Dear Della,
I read the link, about the St. Kilda.  So St. Kilda is really John Deacons?  I've been wanting a John Deacons....You made my day!
Big Hug to you!
Pat

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:16:37 AM »

You are very welcome, Pat.  :D
I believe it was a JD concern, but I am not a paperweight collector myself. I just have a head full of useless information (well, a lot is useless to me) and remebered the thread that I sent you to.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »
The De Cora Import Company, at that time based in New York, were the main importers of Whitefriars paperweights to America. Whitefriars closed in 1980 and it wasn't long before american collectors were asking the company what they were going to sell instead of Whitefriars so De Cora approached John Deacons and asked him to make a new brand of paperweight for them so John agreed and took the name St Kilda from a small island in the Hebrides. St Kilda paperweights were never sold to UK retailers although some were sold in the factory shop.
It should be appreciated that St Kilda was just a brand name - not a company - so when the J Glass company closed it did not affect St Kilda and once in a while John would put the StK Cane in the odd one off piece he made right up to 1987.
Some people get confused between the StK and StA paperweights. John Deacons made some paperweights for an american dealer who was just starting to sell paperweights and called these St Andrews and put an StA cane in the. Sadly the venture did not suceed so there are not many StA weights around so if you see any come up for slae they are worth collecting
Hope this helps and fills a few gaps
Dave

Offline Patricia H

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 02:17:24 AM »
What interesting and wonderful info!  Thank you!  I'm a novice at this but am trying to learn.  Now I know John Deacon's story, and be sure I will keep my eye open for STA.
It was very kind of you both to help me with this.  Thanks!
Pat :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand