No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swards & Gullaskruv - Oddly Appealing Vase  (Read 5811 times)

Offline cjf

• Members
Re: Swards & Gullaskruv - Oddly Appealing Vase
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 05:39:42 PM »
Hi again Mark. I wouldn't say that the label is misleading, since it is Swärds' own label. It was not at all uncommon that different firms bought "raw materials" (i.e. vases, glasses etc) from other factories and decorated them in various ways. The label on such a product is almost always that of the decorating firm, rather than the glassworks that produced the actual glassware.

Thank you for the pictures! These are called "Double-walled coiled bowls" in one of my books, and is one of Hugo Gehlin's most famous models. It is also the one single model by Gehlin where the likelihood of it being signed is highest (I have three of these myself, and two of them are signed). Otherwise, signatures are generally very rare on glass from Gullaskruf...

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »
Thank you so much cjf, this is extremely useful information. What is also useful information is that you have books! What are they and how can I get hold of them? If there's a collective groan at my ignorance as to the identity behind your username, I apologise.
Many thanks for spending the time to help me out,
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline cjf

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »
If there's a collective groan at my ignorance as to the identity behind your username, I apologise.

Not to worry, I may be known by Raoul and perhaps one or two more on this forum, but I am by no means a glass celebrity...  ;)

Anyway, the book I was referring to was published in connection with the 25th anniversary of Gullaskrufs glasbruk in 1952. It is in Swedish, but has a summary in English. It is not easy to find nowadays, but there appears to be one on sale here (Swedish used books dealer):

http://www.antikvariat.net/search.cgi?id=umkoievcuapc,1,0,5&qe=ROD51024

Otherwise there is not much written about Gullaskruf glassworks (unless you count catalogues etc., but they are even harder to find), but give me a couple of years and I will see if I can perhaps add to the currently very short list of Gullaskruf literature...  ;)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 07:26:36 PM »
Is this perhaps a topic we should move over to our snazzy new Scandinavian Glass board?  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline cjf

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 09:27:22 PM »
Please do, and thank you for letting us know! I hadn't noticed that there was one yet...   :-[

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 09:33:21 PM »
Don't worry, I suspect others haven't yet either. :)  It's very new and still squeaky clean and dust free, so we're populating it with Scandi glass discussions from the Glass forum.

If anyone spots anything that may need moving over please flag it up and one of the Mod team will take a look.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand