No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian? Opalescent/green footed bowl.  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Victorian? Opalescent/green footed bowl.
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me anything about this piece, please?
I am presuming Victorian? Or later? I honestly don't have a clue  ???

Click to enlarge.

Thank you!
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Re: Victorian? Opalescent/green footed bowl.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 02:36:35 AM »
Any markings on the stand?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:12:02 AM »

None that I can find, although I haven't dismantled it. The glass is so delicate that I a little dubious about starting to loosen screws, which will then have to be re-tightened.  :-\
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 12:24:09 PM »
Della, don't take it apart! Even if you find a maker's mark on the metal base, it may very likely be from a different origin to the glass bowl.
It was common for makers of metal stands to put their fittings on both locally made & imported glass.
For example, a stand may be made in the U.S, or England but the glass may have been made in Bohemia.
So an i.d on the base may have no real bearing on the glass itself.
It is Victorian, around 1890s. Very attractive. This shaded opalescent green was particularly in vogue in the period 1890s-1900. Could likely be a Bohemian maker, but may be English, too. There was a lot of copying & overlap of popular designs. Impossible to pin down an exact maker without it being recorded in a catalogue of the time.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »

Thank you, Marinka.  ;D I had already decided not to take it apart. As I mentioned, the glass is so incredibly delicate (and totally undamaged) that I thought it better to leave well alone. It is high on a shelf for now, until I decide what to do with it.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand