No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help with descrition of paperweights  (Read 1477 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Please help with descrition of paperweights
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »
I promise I did my homework.  I searched the web, and looked in 4 different books in the library, and still didn't see a description of what types of paperweights these are.  I would be grateful for any information anyone can provide. 

This one is 5 1/4" in diameter - I think its called a doorstop?

Two pictures of the one on the left.  It looks like confetti is exploding from the tube in the center. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
Re: Please help with descrition of paperweights
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »
Hi,
I got here before the experts  ;D ;D ;D
I would think Bohemia but I always do when I see those flowers!!
The one on the right in the second picture looks like a weight that was recently discussed, 'cept yours doesnt have a torsade, sorry cant find the link (read to lazy) and I think it went onto ebay.
Kind regards
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Please help with descrition of paperweights
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »
I wonder if the first "morning glory" (or "trumpet-flower" design) weight could be American, and perhaps even 1960s or later? On page 100 of Jean S. Melvin's American Glass Paperweights and Their Makers, revised edition 1970, there is a vase and paperweight that seem to use a similar thick white flower with coloured bits decoration and a central air bubble - from the Labino studios.

I have no real idea about the other two - but they could easily be European work from the late 19th to early 20th centuries.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand