Author Topic: Please help with descrition of paperweights  (Read 800 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline uphoosier

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 310
Please help with descrition of paperweights
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »
I promise I did my homework.  I searched the web, and looked in 4 different books in the library, and still didn't see a description of what types of paperweights these are.  I would be grateful for any information anyone can provide. 

This one is 5 1/4" in diameter - I think its called a doorstop?

Two pictures of the one on the left.  It looks like confetti is exploding from the tube in the center. 


Offline karelm

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 276
  • Gender: Male
Re: Please help with descrition of paperweights
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »
I got here before the experts  ;D ;D ;D
I would think Bohemia but I always do when I see those flowers!!
The one on the right in the second picture looks like a weight that was recently discussed, 'cept yours doesnt have a torsade, sorry cant find the link (read to lazy) and I think it went onto ebay.
Kind regards
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline KevinH

  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • *
  • Posts: 5408
    • England
Re: Please help with descrition of paperweights
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »
I wonder if the first "morning glory" (or "trumpet-flower" design) weight could be American, and perhaps even 1960s or later? On page 100 of Jean S. Melvin's American Glass Paperweights and Their Makers, revised edition 1970, there is a vase and paperweight that seem to use a similar thick white flower with coloured bits decoration and a central air bubble - from the Labino studios.

I have no real idea about the other two - but they could easily be European work from the late 19th to early 20th centuries.


Look for glass on 
Look for glass on (US)

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand