No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink glass.... Webb?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Pink glass.... Webb?
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »
Just back from an auction this afternoon, with two wee hauls, this is the pink one.

This is a pic taken at the view yesterday, I can take some more of anything that might be interesting later, but thought a quick-and-dirty would be good for now.

I love the pink quilted vases, which I am thinking may be Webb?

but I am asking mainly about the pink shaded one on the left... I have seen pics of peachblown and the colour graduation looks like that, but I;ve not seen any in the flesh, so don't know if the gilded decoration is likely to be right?  I have no doubt it is end 19th century, very Art Nouveau/Arts and craftsy. But who?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7354

Thank you!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Re: Pink glass.... Webb?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »
Hi Lynne,
nice pink things....very pretty! :)
The cylinder vase with decoration is certainly late Victorian, 1880s-1890s or so. Webb-like in that shaded, peachblow-like colouration & painted decor, but the shape leaves me uncertain. I would expect a more curvy shape. What is the rim like? Is it fire-polished or cut? Cut tops can mean it might more likely be Bohemian. The true peach-blow (there are several types, all somewhat different colours & by various makers)is American. Webb did a peachblow too, but the colour tends to shade from a very deep orangey red through to pink. There was also a lot of Bohemian peachblow type glass, & it often had gilded decoration. Some was known to have been made by Harrach.
The m.o.p satin vases are gorgeous. The double-gourd shape is very Webb. But this was a fashionable shape in the 1880s & other makers used it too. S & W made good m.o.p satin in similar shapes, too.
Sorry about the lack of certain attributions.....that's the trouble with this type of glass.
In the lack of identifying marks, or documented shapes/patterns I tend to fall back on the factor of quality & good craftsmanship.
Polished pontil, fire-polished rim, balanced & well-designed shape, etc. A quality item from this genre of glass will speak for itself in many ways.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: Pink glass.... I wonder who by.....
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 12:52:28 PM »
Hi Marinka!

I am taking some new pics today, so hopefully that will cast some more light on them.  My first thought on the graduated vase was Bohemian, then I looked about on the net when I was deciding how much to bid, and thought oh!  that graduation looks like peachblow... then I got all excited  ;D ;D.

But now it is home, I STILL am not sure....

in a way, it really doesn't matter, because as you say, good pictures and a detailed description and the right people should know what it is .  But I can get very geeky about these things... ::)
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Re: Pink glass.... Webb?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:23:45 PM »
Hi Lynne,
geeky? I am the geek from hell when it comes to glass! ;D
There is actually a book on peachblow glass if you are interested....it's by Johanna Billings, who also wrote a great book on glass rose bowls. It clearly defines all types of peachblow, & outlines the history of it as well (inspired by a huge auction price on a Chinese ceramic vase-became known as the Morgan Vase after the buyer).
Yes, I do own this book!
Peachblow varies a lot depending on the maker. Some of the U.S types are deep red to orange to yellow (Wheeling) whilst the Mt Washington is pale pink to a greyish shade.
The Webb is a warm, orangey-red to a coral-pink. The Harrach is pretty similar, maybe a bit of a more cerise type pink all over.
It's the unusual shape that's throwing me a bit. It doesn't look Webb. But colour-wise & in terms of  decoration it's fairly spot-on. But there's loads of shaded pink glass from this era about.....it was really trendy back then.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand