No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: my display shelves  (Read 2618 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
my display shelves
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:46:48 PM »
Vickie has been reminding me to take photographic evidence of the collection, so I finally got around to it.
I decided it did not have to be individual photos, so here it is.
http://www.vaselineglass.org/leftwall.jpg
http://www.vaselineglass.org/centerwall.jpg
http://www.vaselineglass.org/rightwall.jpg
My desk is just to the left of the LEFTWALL photo. opposite the CENTER WALL shot is the double doors and my reference library. The Center wall is what you see first when entering the room, so that is where all the best stuff is. the RIGHT WALL is to my back when I am on the computer. For those on dial up, total pics on these links is about 2.7 Meg, so they take just a bit to load. I left them large and sharp for detail. When you scroll across a photo, if there is a little + sign on your screen, click on it with the mouse for a full size photo. Each photo will fit the width of the screen, but you will have to scroll top to bottom to see all the shelves. The photos are 'composite landscape' and I did them in a bit of a hurry, so you will see the merge lines. Oh, the big black square on the left wall is my photo booth that I do most of my vaseline glass shots. the velvet is held in place with a couple of heavy pieces of glass on the top shelf, then i overlapped it on the center shelf, and then ran the excess down the back side of the shelf, so i did not have to cut the velvet. The only blacklights I have in the room are seen in the LEFT WALL photo, top row has a double lamp with two pigtail fluorescent blacklight bulbs. when I want to shoot UV, i have a couple of 20 inch sticks that i can put on the shelf above and below the item, and shine through the plate glass shelves. The shelves are 1/4" plate glass, with eyelet brackets on the wall. Each shelf is 8" front to back. (the glass ran me about $650 to get them all done). Each shelf on left and right meet at the same points for the center shelves, so i can put stuff in the corners too (to utilize all the space). I am careful not to put a lot of weight in the corners, as there is about 15 inches from the left bracket on the center section to the corner. I have also tried to sort of group stuff by theme. bottom shelf center is murano critters, for example. Art glass is generally center section, eye level or above.

I still have 4 other cabinets in the living room with the good stuff in them,
 but this is the office where I sit at the computer.

Dave "Mr. Vaseline Glass" Peterson

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: my display shelves
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:55:36 PM »

And I thought that I had it bad, Dave  :o  Fabulous  ;) ;D 
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Awesome pics, Dave! :)
What an inspiring outlook!
And I love the Caution Radioactive sign....I'd rather like one one these myself for my own relatively small uranium-bearing part of the collection. Where do you get them from?
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 03:21:36 PM »
Fabulous!   :D but who draws the short straw for the dusting? ;)
Anne E.B

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 07:18:11 PM »
Dusting responsibilities go to me.   I made the radioactive sign by searching Google, then doing some photoshop work on it.  no cost involved.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 07:21:28 PM »
I'm jealous Dave. Do you know who the lidded pot under two-shaded lamp is? I have one as well

Offline glasswipe

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »
Hi, I also have that lidded pot, I bought it at Peterborough fair.The person selling it did say it was Fenton.I am happy to go along with that.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »
directly below the lamp shade (and also the next shelf down, directly below the base) are canary flint glass covered sugar bowls, 1850-60, English, maker unknown. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
Mine's the one on the shelf below and that was the conclusion I'd reached, thank you

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 09:48:57 PM »
Wonderful Dave, now I'm totally ignorant on this matter but what is the wonderful looking fish on the second shelf down.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand