No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby 2593 Pedestal Vase Set  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Sowerby 2593 Pedestal Vase Set
« on: June 08, 2007, 11:42:18 AM »
I have posted this as it is new to me, so may be new to some GMB members.   Also I have a couple of queries.

See: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7365

It is a pedestal vase variant of the fairly well-known 2593 Celery Vase, from a different mould.   The vase has three shield-shaped flower holder supports on the inside, upon which rests a specially tailored Derby flower holder with the rim angled to conform to the slope of the vase.   It came with a 2616 plinth which fits perfectly, and sets it off brilliantly.

The glass is a uranium greeny-yellow or vaseline, and flouresces madly under my blacklight tester.

So, is it in any of the surviving Sowerby trade catalogues or their publicity?   And what date range is it?   And why the apparent scarcity (or is it just me failing to notice other examples)?

Any thoughts / information welcomed.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Re: Sowerby 2593 Pedestal Vase Set
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 07:40:57 PM »
Although it's obviously 2593, I too have no recollection of having seen it or its picture before, Bernard.

Adam D.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 06:40:49 AM »
Thanks, Adam, for confirming the unusual nature of this set.

The silence on this has been deafening, as I believe is the expression.

It's interesting to compare this set with Davidson's 278/10 with the flower holder rim specially angled to conform to the inner slope of the vase.

If anyone wants to see it for real, I will have it with me at Gaydon today.   Please ask to see it if we don't have space to display it.   Don't miss it — it's the only one I've even heard of!

Bernard C.  8)

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »
All I can say is its just gorgeous Bernard. Wish I could see it in the flesh.

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
Selina — Thanks for your comment.   We were able to display it on a shelf with other uranium green, with a blacklight tube above it.   So, although it had normal lighting on it as well, it flouresced mildly as it would in sunlight, and looked fantastic.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:24:54 AM »
Yet another 2593 oddity has emerged.   See here.

As this is a completed eBay listing which will disappear in due course, it is of a pentagonal black plinth with a fairly typical Sowerby profile of convex curves, slightly bolder than most Sowerby plinth profiles.   The seller described its measurements as "40mm TALL / MAX BASE DIMENSION 180 mm / MAX TOP RIDGE DIMENSION 100 mm".   As you will see from the listing, I queried the "2593" with the seller, who kindly confirmed that the "number is correct, clear and unambiguous".

So what isn't it?   It's obviously nothing to do with Jobling's 2593, their Three Graces Comport.   And as Sowerby are not known for making mistakes with their pattern numbers, it's unlikely to be an error.

So it has to be the plinth for a five-sided item in the 2593 pattern.   I've never seen one — have you?

Any other views / explanations?

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 05:45:58 AM »
Hi Bernard
It just so happens I have a copy of "Marking Times" The Journal of the Pressed Glass Collectors Club No. 28 Winter 2001.

On pages 14 to 19 there is an article, "English Art Deco Pressed Glass, Part One. Sowerby by Monica & Peter Cadwell.

On page 17 it reads "Two C1939 patterns follow: Flower set and Salad are fairly common, but the salad is unusual in being five sided and having an uncommon tailored base, the salad also appears in a six-sided form in the 1954 catalogue."

There is also a photo of Salad: Pattern 2593 and Flower set: Pattern 2566.

I do not know who Monica & and Peter are, I have tried to find out but no luck so far, there are details of other patterns in this article.

Is this of any help to you.

Tony H in NZ

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 06:22:54 AM »
Tony — Brilliant.   And it solves another problem I had with this — that, for a vase, a five part mould or a three part asymetrical mould are unknown, or at least extremely rare in the 20th Century in British glass.   But a bowl was no problem, basically just a two part mould.   You could have as many sides as you liked with a bowl, including prime numbers like five and seven.

Thanks for posting,

Bernard C.  8)

Later:

Just found it in a c.1955 catalogue, shown without the base — S/2593 SALAD BOWL, 5-sided, Flanged, 8" Flint.   Not very exciting, is it?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »
Last night I watched with great pleasure a repeat of the Bafta-winning drama Housewife, 49, written by and starring Victoria Wood, and featuring a standard flint 2593 vase.   Nice to see the props department get it so correct.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand