No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington / Frank Thrower FT137 & FT146 Sets  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Dartington / Frank Thrower FT137 & FT146 Sets
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:44:15 AM »
First — Apologies.   I haven't yet acquired Eve Thrower & Mark Hill's new book on Frank Thrower and Dartington, so I have sourced from the comparatively limited material in Jackson, excellent though it is.

See http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7391

I would be grateful for launch dates for these sets, together with any other information such as production period, date of introduction of the new multicoloured boxes, when they started applying labels to the glass, and anything else of interest, together with any corrections to the material I have elicited from Jackson.

TIA,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Dartington / Frank Thrower FT137 & FT146 Sets
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »
According to Eve's book cellophane labels were used after the first few months of production. The first labels were red on paper followed by red on cellophane. Red or gold were first quality, black second quality. It also implies only items sent to retailers were labelled. It would appear that the multi-coloured boxes were used from the late 1970s onwards. The dishes appear in the 1971 catalogue (no 70 shown) and the server on a 1982 poster. Numbers seem to be 'chronological'.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »
Christine — grateful thanks for the information.

I've had a close look at the second dressing server, and am not at all sure whether the tissue is original.   So the set could have been isued with labels, subsequently removed.

Bernard C.  8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 05:10:49 PM »
Poor memory — oops!

See my 2005 topic Dartington / Frank Thrower avocado sets?.   In this Nic provided the following useful link to Dartington catalogues:

http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/dart/c67.htm

As the FT146 servers are not in the 1971 catalogue but are in the 1972 catalogue for the first time, this gives us a launch of the full set as the 1972 catalogue.   Now, the question is, when was the 1972 catalogue launched?   I think it reasonably safe, in the absence of any other information, to assume that it would have been summer or autumn 1971, in plenty of time for Christmas 1971.   So we have a launch date for the dishes of 1970 and for the servers of 1971.   QED.

Any other opinions?

Bernard C.  8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand