No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satin Fratelli Toso Paperweight  (Read 2964 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Satin Fratelli Toso Paperweight
« on: June 10, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »
Does anyone know who produced this paperweight?  I'm crossing my fingers it's not Chinese; seems to be finer quality than that.  I'm thinking Fratelli Toso, but I don't see anything comparable on the internet or in my Italian glass books (which in general show very little in the way of paperweights).  Any help would be appreciated.  If it's Murano and vintage, would this be considered a relatively scarce or common piece?
Thanks as always,
Charles.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=52c47ia (picture of underside)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Satin Fratelli Toso Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 09:56:33 AM »
It's lovely and I feel you may be right, scroll down here for cruets in a similar style

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 03:02:19 PM »
Thanks!  This gives me some peace of mind that my $20 investment was not a mistake, and I can keep it out on display with my nicer Murano pieces.  Although mine doesn't have the latticino, the cased vertical lines and satin texture seem to be spot on.

Nice website.  I remember owning the amber apocathecary jar some years ago.  Mine was in blue, and I sold it for something like $50 on eBay, back when I was into that.  Could it really be worth $350?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 03:09:21 PM »
I think it was $20 well spent  :o Don't know where all the Murano experts are though. In fact the whole board is very quiet.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 04:04:41 PM »

Nice website.  I remember owning the amber apocathecary jar some years ago.  Mine was in blue, and I sold it for something like $50 on eBay, back when I was into that.  Could it really be worth $350?

Only if someone wants to pay that for it...... ;D
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 06:16:43 AM »
Back in the late 60's or early 70's Fratelli Toso made a bottle for one of the Italian liquer companies with the same colour combination of canes, though not with a satin finish, so I think you can be pretty certain that given the accumulation of evidence the odds point to it being by FT.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:17:01 AM »
Fratelli Toso made several glass pieces that had the satinized canes. There are also contemporary paperweights -- some made in Murano -- that look like yours. I have a feeling that your paperweight may be one of the contemporary ones. The Toso paperweights that I have seen have have broader ribbons that show little horizontal curve. The canes tend to be very evenly satinized. It may just be the picture, but your weight looks like it has some curve in the canes and less satin than Toso weights.

Most of the satin ribbon weights I have seen on eBay have been contemporary. I cannot remember the company that does them, but I remember it was one of the larger modern companies. Even if it is one of the contemporary Toso look-alikes, it is pretty and well worth $20.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand