No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vase - ID = Crystal d'Arques decanter - ?  (Read 14490 times)

Offline Hotglass

• Members
Re: Sklo Union vase? & ID of decanter..charity sale finds..
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »
I have the same vase. It has no marks and it's quite different to the French ones. Alternating windows are either deply concave or have a 4 part indented "x" split pattern with 2 sub-facets, convex and the other two, flat. So its like looking from the inside of a pyramid with two walls curving inwards. The top band of windows is different. It has altnernate convex and concave windows; no split pattern. The lower band has concave windows like the 4x but with 2 left out so it makes a wide-angle lens or surround screen shape alternating with the only windows to follow the natural curve of the vase. The base  has a smooth indented concave well. It's similar to those on some Sklo Union vases but taking up more of the base area so that the base rim is very narrow. Within the base rim is a mold line. The glass clarity is as good as the geometric Sklo Union vases. Hopefully with this info Trudy's great pics will make more sense. Oh I just noticed there's also some kind of internal optic going on - horizontal.  It feels really strange but probably the same as other internal optics. By the way I'm not saying that it is or isn't Sklo Union - I'm just using that as a coimparison. Could be other Czech or even Italian and maybe even Polish., I just don't know. Ed.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 09:59:33 PM »
Seeing the vase base I'd say it doesn't look like the French ones I've seen.

I've also some reservations about the stopper and the decanter - stylistically they look mis-matched.

Not much help I know, except in the elimination stakes perhaps.  ::) :D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 01:03:11 AM »
Thanks guys..gals :) And every post does help me!

I had the feeling about the stopper, mainly because of the frosting inside which really throws it off. I thought it might match better if it was clear as it has the same bubble effect. But it really seems like condensation set in the bubble and made it dirty. No way to clean it at all.

Ed, your description was perfect!! I worry so much about how Im describing something because of the knowledge here on the board. Not being able to use the proper terms and then I know someone is going to pick me up on it :) I feel like Im back in school getting pointed out for the question in maths!!!

You see I mostly have an eye for nice glass...Ive had my mistakes but generally pick decent quality I hope. Everyone is great here on the board but I still find it daunting to make a post that sounds even remotely 'glassspeak'. On the other hand, Im learning slowly but surely, different terms.

Hope this post made sense after all that... NOT a criticism but merely a point of view from an amateur.

And btw...the vase is stunning on my cabinet, not sure if I will be parting with it at all now :)

Thanks again,
Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 02:56:53 AM »
Trudy, please don't feel intimidated by the "experts" on the board - everyone has to learn somewhere, we weren't born knowing this stuff. I have to tell you that I (and others probably) still don't know what a lot of these technical terms mean either so just ask whatever way you can and we'll ask some more if we're not following you, and we'll all learn from each other. Main thing is to enjoy the board and remember we don't bite (well not after sunrise anyhow. >:D;D

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 10:57:20 AM »
AWWW Trudy, i'm the dunce of the board but, i love glass and have learned so much from the people here, but i'm also a bit of a terrier in that i dont like to let anything go, so will search every where for an item that hasn't been identified i try to help that way, the people here are lovely, why not drop in for a coffee sometime in the cafe? :) :)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 11:56:22 AM »
Trudy - firstly, there's no need to be intimidated by any of the members of this board - they're all brilliant and very patient (they've been incredibly patient with me over the past 18 months since I first crashed onto this board - literally!).  I don't use proper glass speak at times - sometimes I might say it's got a 'pointy thing' or 'knobbly bit' and on the whole they know what I'm blithering on about.

Secondly, with regard to your vase - I'd still say it's probably not Sklo Union - have a really good look all over it with a magnifying glass - I've got a similar vase that I would have sworn was SU but Marcus doubted it and I couldn't find anything anywhere to identify it UNTIL I looked at it with my daughters magnifying glass and found the word 'FRANCE' almost invisibly hidden around the base.

Sklounion

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »
I have serious reservations about the base of this vase.....
hence my unwillingness to say Czech, sorry Trudy, Ed and others....
This MIGHT be Czech/French, but there are serious other candidates who need to be considered.
Regards,
M

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 01:09:48 AM »
Thanks so much everyone. I know you are all lovely...and I everyone helps when they can on items Ive noticed.

Im not worried about where its from, just needed to know as it bugs me when I know nothing about an item..lol The only thing about France and seeing the word Arcoroc...all I can think of is our old dinner set that we used to have..lovely um brown colour and they used to bounce if you dropped them. ;D
And Id never heard of Sklo Union till I came here but since I got my two SU candle holders, Ive become a fan I have to say.

I will go over the vase again with a magnifying glass and find out where the cafe is. I guess the time difference is the only hinderance there. If I find anything then I will post for future reference for Ed or someone else.

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 11:12:44 PM »
It's a 24 hour cafe!  ;)

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 12:58:23 PM »
Looks like there's some kind of expert on Sklo Union in Glasgow (ebay). He says "IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE A ZEJMON VASE DESIGNED BY JIRI ZEJMON FOR RUDOLFOVA HUT" I've been over the the base with a magnifier and a loop. There are no marks of any kind. This is the best pic I have managed to take of it http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7976 (get big) as far as showing the pattern is concerned. It's a tricky one to photo well. Ed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand