No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lewis Kain (Kahn?)  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Lewis Kain (Kahn?)
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:20:32 AM »
(click on image for larger view)
This is our dog Nora - enjoying the snow on a meadow near our house. What you cannot see on the picture is the red fire hydrant in the corner - but this will explain why I just had to get this weight:

It is scratch signed "L.K." and attributed (by the seller) to Lewis Kain. In Andrew Dohan's book I find a "LK" signature cane for Lewis Kain, plus the info that he "made small paperweights with lampworked flowers in the late 1960s and early 1970s".

A weight fitting that description (lampworked flower and LK cane) was recently sold on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290100530552
but attributed to Lewis Kahn (instead of Kain).

So my questions are:
1. Is the spelling Kahn just a typo?
2. Did Lewis Kain also scratch sign weights (instead of a signature cane) - and is the signature pictured above his signature?
3. Does anyone have additional info in him - like where he lived, ...

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Lewis Kain (Kahn?)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:19:56 PM »
Lewis Kain made small works with lampwork flowers.  He signed the with an LK millefiori cane (no pun intended).  He worked in New Jersey (US) in the early 1970s.  The paperweight on eBay is by him. 

I think the one that is scratch signed LK with the dog is by someone else, but it is possible that Kain experimented with other styles. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand