No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Damaged Glass Dilemma....Giant Duck  (Read 1473 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Damaged Glass Dilemma....Giant Duck
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
Hi all again,

Ive put this in the queries here even though I suspect that this is a Murano duck. My dilemma is....

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7456
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7455

The tail is snapped off at the end...and a chip off the back of his foot underneath..This lovely duck measures 34.5cm high (13.5") and weighs a smidgen under 6 kilos. Ive had him for almost 10 years, bought from a nursing home clearout. He's been in the back of the cabinet and now Im sorting my glass out, I come to my problem..

Is he now valueless because of the damage?
Can he ever be repaired?
Should I bother even finding out the maker? (after being on this board a while now, I realise the scratches on the side could be a Murano signature  :) And if I research the maker and it turns out to be a desirable one..again...does he have ANY value?

I still think he's gorgeous of course, and I havent seen one that big here before. So I guess Im wondering what everyone does with their damaged glass? I could cull a few things from my collection going by small chips and sundries.

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Damaged Glass Dilemma....Giant Duck
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:27:50 AM »
So I guess Im wondering what everyone does with their damaged glass?

We hide it in the attic and treat it like a demented ex-wife who will one day burn the house to the ground, I suspect. Except for Max, she keeps hers in the woodshed. Okay, enough of the literary allusions....  ;D

I think most collectors steer clear of noticably damaged glass, and it is pretty much valueless - except if it's an astonishingly old or rare/unique piece. I've only ever purposefully bought three damaged pieces, and those were all to illustrate my HG site on the cheap - the most I paid was £1.50 and in perfect condition they would easily have run to £40-60 each.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
Most I ever paid for a damaged piece of glass was around one thousand pounds. So value of that piece, which I sold for a small gain was clear. In general it depends what it adds to your collection, if it fills a gap then it is invaluable, if not and you don't like it - then it has no value.

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Damaged Glass Dilemma....Giant Duck & Murano maker please
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 05:17:10 AM »
Thanks for your input Nic & Frank...now could someone bump me over to the Murano glass so that I can see if my 6 kilo duck is a unique item in any way. :) I really hope so.....

If anyone can help me identify the style, I would appreciate it, Im really trying hard to read the scratches in the hope its a signature; there must be an easier way to do this!

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 07:43:50 AM »
Reading signatures on badly-scratched bases - I've found that rubbing in charcoal dust can sometimes help. Signatures tend to be a little deeper and broader than surface scratches, and so tend to show up more when you fill them in with something contrasting. You may even get away with talcum powder, or a finely ground spice if you have no charcoal just pottering around.  ;D

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:25:45 AM »
Thanks Nic :)

I used some lead from a pencil, not quite ash but made it more readable. Im still not sure its even a signature..its on the side of the duck...but there is nothing else similar on it. It does seem too deep to just be surface scratches but who knows. I will put a new post with my interpretation of the signature in the hope someone has an idea.

Trudy
Trudy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand