No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Notsjo salt and 2 unknown vases (?Chribska + other)  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Notsjo salt and 2 unknown vases (?Chribska + other)
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »
#1.  Nuutajarvi Notsjo, Finland.  Designed by Kaj Franck 1956.
Can anyone confirm that this pestle belongs to the bowl please. They were both bought together but I usually see the bowl just on its own and recently saw one described as a salt bowl (minus the pestle).
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7468

#2.  Any ideas as to what this might be would be appreciated.  Possibly Chribska.  10" high. Thick heavy clear base - textured pattern which snakes upwards and thick rounded rim.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7470

#3.  Last, an amazing coloured blue bulbous shape vase.  8.5" high.  Lots of age related wear on the base so definitely not modern. Flat ground vase - rounded polished rim.  (unable to transfer this from photobucket to gallery ::) )
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/Manc-5.jpg

TIA ;D
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Notsjo salt and 2 unknown vases (?Chribska + other)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:53:11 AM »
Gosh you have been busy Anne!  For what it's worth, I have never seen the Kaj Franck bowls with a pestle - all the ones I've had have been sold on their own and the books where they're mentioned doesn't say anything about pestles either.  What size is the bowl Anne - I suppose it's possible they made a much larger one with a pestle but I can find no reference to one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Notsjo salt and 2 unknown vases (?Chribska + other)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 02:37:53 PM »
Hi Pip ;)  The bowl is 2" high and the sides measure 3" each.  The pestle may have been added at some time but it does appear to be a good match colourwise and it sits well inside the bowl too.  It just seemed to make sense to me to have one for crushing rock salt ;D
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand