No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help on Uranium Bird Egg Cups Reg Marked  (Read 5363 times)

Offline selina

• Members
ID help on Uranium Bird Egg Cups Reg Marked
« on: June 17, 2007, 05:23:37 AM »
Hello,

Hoping my subject was clear enough...I need some help id-ing these egg cups and if anyone has an old brochure pic or anything to do with them. Ive got a few egg cups similar that are the clear glass but only these are uranium.
The bird seems to either a rather fat chicken or a partridge. There are also leaves?ferns? on the base. Both are marked underneath Rd No 711837 or 714837 its hard to tell the third number. I believe these to be around 80 years old.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7495

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: ID help on Uranium Bird Egg Cups Reg Marked
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:20:39 AM »
Trudy — Rd No 711837 is a glass registration by International Bottle Co. Ltd. on March 19, 1925, according to Jim Edgley's "Blue Book", published by the Glass Association, and obtainable from Broadfield House Glass Museum.

In my opinion most International Bottle Co. Ltd. glass was made in continental Europe.   I believe they were factors, supplying the retail trade rather than selling directly to the public, with experienced design, sales and marketing teams, putting manufacturing out to tender and going for the best deal.   They produced some classy Art Deco glass in the 1930s which looks very French or Czechoslovakian — see Miller's Glass Buyer's Guide for two or three illustrated examples.

Note that if you find contemporary references to them as "manufacturers", this does not necessarily mean that they made the glass, but that they arranged for it to be made.    It is our use of the word manufacture that has changed — now it means to make or to assemble or a combination of the two, at least here in Britain — it may have changed less in meaning in the USA, where the English language is rather more stable.

Oh, and excellent title for this topic.  :clap:

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:09:41 AM »
Thanks Bernard!
Ive not been able to find many references online to that company. I found one art deco perfume bottle and thats it :)

Being decidedly book poor does make it a bit hard so I appreciate any knowledge Im given on here. Also being in Australia, I find my resources are a bit limited when searching for overseas makers.

History of these eggcups are English based. They were my grandmothers and her brother's, given to them as children, quite small I think. She is in her 80's now and still residing in the UK. As I collect glass she recently gave them to my mother to give to me. Of course I treasure them, but was also intrigued to find out about them and get something down on paper for my own children. I have a few sets of the clear glass cups with various birds but these are the only uranium ones Ive seen. If anyone has any idea of monetary value, it would be helpful to me as they will remain in the family.

Trudy

Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 06:37:21 AM »
I don't know about value, but they are desirable with two collector markets - egg cups and uranium glass. I've never one before in my net searching.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 07:35:13 PM »
I have one - it is identical. The RD is very clear: 711837. We found it in the USA about 10 or more years ago. I can't add much more info, I'm afraid.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline glasswipe

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 07:56:19 PM »
Hi Selina.I have the same egg cups one in Uranium the other in flint.Not a fortune I'm afraid,Paid £5 each at different locations.If I was you I would keep them.Kay

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum