No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pre-war international Glass Gazetteer (circa 1930)  (Read 4419 times)

Sklounion

Pre-war international Glass Gazetteer (circa 1930)
« on: May 07, 2005, 05:42:17 AM »
Hi, Please does any board-member have one?

If so, in the Cechoslovakia section, is there any mention of
a Teplitz glass-maker, with directors O Loewy and a Winter, initials unknown. What was the company name? It is likely to have been a pressed-glass works. (Winter eventually arrived in the UK and worked for a while as a designer at Sowerby's Ellison Glassworks.)

Sorry, scratch that one: Sklarna Otto Loewy s.r.o. Mstisov 1919-1938, confiscated by the Nazis.

Is anyone aware of any books or information on the following companies:
Fountain Glass, Robertstown nr Huddersfield
Eton Glass, Leyton, possibly owned by William Child.

Thanks  in advance for any illumination,

Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 09:01:09 AM »
Is Glass Gazeteer generic or a particular publication?

Saxton Brothers Fountain Glass Works were sold and renamed to Fountain Glass Works Ltd in 1940. Made Bottles, vessels, automated and hand pressed production. Liversedge, Yorkshire (Hartmann)

Fountain Glass Works Ltd. Huddersfield Road, Roberttown, Liversedge, Yorkshire. Soda-lime glass tumblers (Pottery Gazette 1963)

No trace of Eton Glass and neither firm mentioned in 1935 Pottery Gazette

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 10:37:30 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Is Glass Gazeteer generic or a particular publication?

Saxton Brothers Fountain Glass Works were sold and renamed to Fountain Glass Works Ltd in 1940. Made Bottles, vessels, automated and hand pressed production. Liversedge, Yorkshire (Hartmann)

Fountain Glass Works Ltd. Huddersfield Road, Roberttown, Liversedge, Yorkshire. Soda-lime glass tumblers (Pottery Gazette 1963)

No trace of Eton Glass and neither firm mentioned in 1935 Pottery Gazette

Thanks Frank, gazetteer used generically.

The info on Saxton's/Fountain Glass Works very useful. It was purchased by Loewy, and Winter (his cousin) (with whom Loewy had run Sklarna Otto Loewy, in Mstisov, Czechoslovakia), became a partner shortly afterward, enticed from Sowerby's. Within a short space of time Loewy left his cousin to it, after what appears to have been an acrimonious dispute.

regards,

Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 12:47:36 PM »
In 1963 directors were:

Bailey, R G
Bailey, I M
Bailey, J A
Livingston J B
Moir, J W J
Murgatroyd J B
Richards F F

Still waiting for my 1931 gazeteer

Offline ianpeacock

• Members
Re: Pre-war international Glass Gazetteer (circa 1930)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »
Some time ago you asked:-

Is anyone aware of any books or information on the following companies:
Fountain Glass, Robertstown nr Huddersfield
Eton Glass, Leyton, possibly owned by William Child.

William Child was my uncle and he did indeed run the Eton Glass works in Leyton, East London until about the mid 1950s.  If you come across any information, I would be grateful if you could share it with me.
Many thanks

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 06:49:12 AM »
Hi Ian,
I have anunpublished manuscript here, which was the basis of the original enquiry. I will have a look through it and see what other info is there, but, understandably, I will need to contact the owners of the document for permission to pass on any information.
Regards,
Le Casson

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 01:59:33 AM »
Hi Marcus and others here.
I am wondering if there are any updates on this issue?
My interest in this stems from research on Frantisek Zemek and on the Teplice area.
I have found a series of references to the Loewy works at Tischau:

Glashüttenwerke - Emmahütte, G.m.b.H., Tischau
Glasshüttenwerke Emmahütte Otto Löwy & Co, G.m.b.H., Tischau
Sklárna huť Emma, Otto Löwy a spol., spol. s r. o., Mstišov
Sklárně Otto Löwy Tischau / Mstišov,
Otto Löwy a spol., spol. s r. o., Mstišov
Sklárny Löwy Otto a spol., Mstišov
AND
Mstišov, Tischau, Stalag IVC, Zajatci byli přiděleni v březnu 1941. Ubytováni v bývalé sklárně Emmahuette. Pracovali na uhelném dole Karel.
Mstišov, Tischau, Stalag IVC, Prisoners were assigned in March 1941. Housed in the former Emmahuette glassworks. They worked at the Karel coal mine.

I have read that it was mostly Soviet prisoners who were housed in the sklárně Emmahuette. The property was confiscated in 1940.

I am not sure when Otto Loewy and his partner went to England but from reading above it must have been in the early 1930's.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 04:06:11 AM »
I'm sorry to say that Marcus is no longer with us as he died a couple of years ago. Others may be able to add more to your research, though I did find that Otto Loewy is listed in the 1939 Register for the UK (taken in September 1939 at the outbreak of WW2), and he is recorded as follows:

Name:   Otto Loewy [Otto Lowy]
Marital Status:   Single
Birth Date:   22 Mar 1886
Residence Place:   Bromley, Kent, England

Otto Lowy's death is noted in the London Gazette for 29th  December 1953, as follows, Address at death: 26, Daleham Gardens, London N.W.3, Occupation: Company Director, Date of Death: 16th May, 1953." His death registration record shows that he was aged 66 at his death.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 11:31:22 PM »
Many thanks Anne. I appreciate your reply. Your information is certainly helpful.

Offline Vera

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Czech glass factories
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 02:24:37 PM »
My Czech refugee grandparents and parents worked for Fountain Glass Works in Roberttown, West Yorkshire and Century Glass Works in Edmonton, North London between 1940 and 1960. They knew Rudolf Winter and his family very well.

I have just completed my own research (including into Otto Loewy who may or may not be Rudolf Winter's cousin) which I have published in a document called "A Czech Glass Factory in Yorkshire, and beyond". I hope people find it useful. (It can also be found on my Facebook page "The Lowit Family - from Bohemia to Britain, and beyond")

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uV4jE4AoKUg6r7PL4fjF2mbI_I3HlOtt/view?fbclid=IwAR31jdsuS9ezaE-PnSCXRUgSkB33fBkVbZo75fENMMdyIXMlqEs2Z2-ZOhI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand