Glass Discussion & Research. No ID requests here please. > British & Irish Glass

Pre-war international Glass Gazetteer (circa 1930)

(1/2) > >>

Sklounion:
Hi, Please does any board-member have one?

If so, in the Cechoslovakia section, is there any mention of
a Teplitz glass-maker, with directors O Loewy and a Winter, initials unknown. What was the company name? It is likely to have been a pressed-glass works. (Winter eventually arrived in the UK and worked for a while as a designer at Sowerby's Ellison Glassworks.)

Sorry, scratch that one: Sklarna Otto Loewy s.r.o. Mstisov 1919-1938, confiscated by the Nazis.

Is anyone aware of any books or information on the following companies:
Fountain Glass, Robertstown nr Huddersfield
Eton Glass, Leyton, possibly owned by William Child.

Thanks  in advance for any illumination,

Marcus

Frank:
Is Glass Gazeteer generic or a particular publication?

Saxton Brothers Fountain Glass Works were sold and renamed to Fountain Glass Works Ltd in 1940. Made Bottles, vessels, automated and hand pressed production. Liversedge, Yorkshire (Hartmann)

Fountain Glass Works Ltd. Huddersfield Road, Roberttown, Liversedge, Yorkshire. Soda-lime glass tumblers (Pottery Gazette 1963)

No trace of Eton Glass and neither firm mentioned in 1935 Pottery Gazette

Sklounion:

--- Quote from: "Frank" ---Is Glass Gazeteer generic or a particular publication?

Saxton Brothers Fountain Glass Works were sold and renamed to Fountain Glass Works Ltd in 1940. Made Bottles, vessels, automated and hand pressed production. Liversedge, Yorkshire (Hartmann)

Fountain Glass Works Ltd. Huddersfield Road, Roberttown, Liversedge, Yorkshire. Soda-lime glass tumblers (Pottery Gazette 1963)

No trace of Eton Glass and neither firm mentioned in 1935 Pottery Gazette
--- End quote ---

Thanks Frank, gazetteer used generically.

The info on Saxton's/Fountain Glass Works very useful. It was purchased by Loewy, and Winter (his cousin) (with whom Loewy had run Sklarna Otto Loewy, in Mstisov, Czechoslovakia), became a partner shortly afterward, enticed from Sowerby's. Within a short space of time Loewy left his cousin to it, after what appears to have been an acrimonious dispute.

regards,

Marcus

Frank:
In 1963 directors were:

Bailey, R G
Bailey, I M
Bailey, J A
Livingston J B
Moir, J W J
Murgatroyd J B
Richards F F

Still waiting for my 1931 gazeteer

ianpeacock:
Some time ago you asked:-

Is anyone aware of any books or information on the following companies:
Fountain Glass, Robertstown nr Huddersfield
Eton Glass, Leyton, possibly owned by William Child.

William Child was my uncle and he did indeed run the Eton Glass works in Leyton, East London until about the mid 1950s.  If you come across any information, I would be grateful if you could share it with me.
Many thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version