No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More (unidentified) yellow glass. Any ideas?  (Read 5790 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
More (unidentified) yellow glass. Any ideas?
« on: May 09, 2005, 03:47:28 PM »
:D Hello, I thought I'd post some pictures of some of my (unidentified) yellow glass to see if anybody has any ideas what it might be. (I strongly suspect it's all of Bohemian origin.)

All 4 pieces:-  http://tinypic.com/50r7k4

The base of the far left piece:-  http://tinypic.com/50qj2v

The front right mould-blown piece:-  http://tinypic.com/50qj5d
It's base:-                                      http://tinypic.com/50qj9x
This is very fine, and cased in clear glass.

The front left piece:-  http://tinypic.com/50qjdk
It's base:-                 http://tinypic.com/50r1g9

The back right piece:-  http://tinypic.com/50r1i1
it's base:-                   http://tinypic.com/50r1ms

I bought these pieces in Scotland, in various junk shops and antique and collectables fairs, between 7 and 4 years ago.

The back right piece has blue glass at the base and pulled up over the yellow, it was for sale with another vase, the same, but in orange and green, which I didn't buy as I did not like it. Although the base might make one think of Chinese, I think it was before too much Chinese stuff started coming in - that was one of my first pieces, about 7 years ago.
I thought the back left piece looked a little like WMF Ikora, it has good age-related wear to the base.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:45:15 PM »
Hi Sue,

The tall blue and yellow vase is a newer item, found in great numbers at import and close-out stores and come in different sizes.

Of course they get listed on eaby in good numbers too and some sellers claim they are very old and once belonged to some 99.5 year old lady, who never left her home, but was always known to purchase the very best of everything  :-)

Do a search for Murano Yellow Art Glass Vase   and you should easily find some.

There are a lot of Chinese vases which look like these too, but don't ever seem to get listed on ebay as being what they really are and often get dumped into the Murano??? category along with a lot of Mexican glass items, by sellers who actually know what they are but pretend not to know for sure.

I can't say for sure if your vase is Italian or Chinese, but at least you can see what others are asking for theirs and if you check the completed auctions you can see what they have actually sold for.

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 08:10:29 PM »
I do not think your WMF Ikora guess is right, yes they used a white enamel quite often and it is often mentioned as a trademark.

On the other hand Ikora was all made individually and it could just be a little nore different than usual. I expect Ivo will have an opinion when he returns again.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 08:47:24 PM »
Hi Frank

Apart from the "veining" ,which is reminiscent of WMK Ikora, is not that very neat hollow from the pontil not also a pointer towards its WMF attribution..... and also what appears to be a clear casing over the top...???........ or will it al look different in the morning :roll:

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »
:D Thanks very much everybody!
I am more and more suspecting Chinese for the tall one with the blue, something about the crudeness of it's finish, overall. I'd stuffed it at the back of a dark shelf to make room for nicer (IMHO) things, and haven't really looked at it until I brought it out for a yellow "show and ask". It was one of the first pieces of glass I bought,  :oops: in an antique fair in Perth. I believe I paid £24 for it.  :oops:
I feel the "Ikora-like" piece is too thick and heavy to be real. Just after I bought it, I decided it probably wasn't, but I'd be delighted if it was. I paid very little for it in a junk shop in Crieff, so it doesn't really matter :P
I'm not looking to sell this stuff, it's all just part of the learning process as I started collecting. (However, if any of it turned out to be worth loads, I'd quite happily part with it :twisted: )
Cheers, Sue
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 10:12:50 PM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"
:I feel the "Ikora-like" piece is too thick and heavy to be real.Cheers, Sue

Sue

One of the things about the Ikora pieces I have is that they are relatively thick and heavy for their size.....the only thing that I wonder about with yours is the "spread" and amount of veining which is fairly sparse and more random than that on most ikora pieces..... they did however make a fair variety of styles in both shape and texture.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48l

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 10:53:31 PM »
The heavy bowl is either circa 1960s Murano glass or Chalet glass from Canada.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 07:45:31 AM »
:D Thanks again everybody!
Gareth, one of the other reasons I thought the "Ikora" wasn't, is actually the colour! I felt it was probably too "modern", but then, I don't know much about WMF. I do have one Ikora piece, which looks like a snow-covered pine forest. (There is no colour, just the white stuff) I shall try to post a picture tomorrow. Sadly, there is some damage - it had been lined with silver (real) which had blackened and somebody must have thought it was dirt and tried to scrub it out!!! Is it worth trying to get it restored, bearing in mind there is also a bruise? (When I bought it I didn't know too much about these things, as I said before, all part of the learning process!  :oops: :D )
Guest, the same regarding the colour goes for the heavy, what Leni calls "jelly" piece, which I've not seen in any Murano or Chalet pieces that I know of (which, I have to confess, is not a lot). I suppose I've not actually seen very much stuff in these yellows anyway! It is kind of, well, lurid!
Thanks for your comments too, Frank, I shall bear them in mind. Is there anything else the "Ikora" might be, bearing in mind the good age-related wear (or somebody spending ages grinding it on a dusty shelf :twisted:  which I doubt, considering the peanuts I paid for it!)
TTFN, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 08:49:44 AM »
:D Mike, I think that I've decided the tall one is probably Chinese. It's not well made enough to be Italian but, I think, too smooth and fine for Mexican. When I bought it, I was very new to glass collecting, and it's only more recently I've come to recognise Chinese. I've found that it can look quite good from a distance, but on closer inspection, there is/are always something/s "not quite right" about it. The more I look at it, the more Chinese it gets! Mexican, I find, tends to have a certain lumpish "crudity" rather than a "not quite right, something(s) letting it down" in it's finish.
Thanks very much for your input!
TTFN, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:51:06 AM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"
:D Thanks again everybody!
Gareth, one of the other reasons I thought the "Ikora" wasn't, is actually the colour! I felt it was probably too "modern",TTFN, Sue.

Hi Sue

I was thinking along those lines too after I posted the reply.....yellow is not a particuarly common colour for WMF but on ther other hand it seems a liitle subdued when compared to the more modern yellow pieces. Mulling it over a bit more I think the swingometer is moving away from Wmf and unfortunately I cannot readily think of an alternative....will keep my eyes peeled though.

regards

Gareth

morgan48

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand