No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More (unidentified) yellow glass. Any ideas?  (Read 5788 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
More (unidentified) yellow glass. Any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 09:12:39 AM »
:D I know Schneider made things with this sort of pattern in white enamel, but I don't think it's nearly good enough to be that!
Still a mystery.
Nobody any ideas on the mould-blown piece? It is well made, probably newish, it's hard to tell if there's any wear on the base as it's very slightly concave, so it rests on the edges and I can't get it at the right angle to the light because of the clear casing. (I'll probably find out it's Ikea, Habitat or Woolworths :lol: )
TTFN, Sue
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 03:33:13 PM »
Sue,

Believe it or not;  your tall blue and yellow vase could very well be Italian made glass.

I don't know where you live, but many close-out type stores in my area offer all sorts of Italian glass items, which aren't the best things ever made. The labels on many of these items read "Made in Italy" only, so I am assuming they are not Murano glass, but something being mass-produced by someone else and then exported here and there.

Mexican glass use to be pretty rustic looking in nature, but recently there has been a wave of some very well made glass items showing up along with the other, more recognizable Mexican glass. On this I am assuming that other glass makers, who know how make glass well have been setting up shop down there, because of the cheap materials, labor and less government restrictions on pollution, safety etc. and are able to turn out a quality product for export. There is also a good deal of what looks like the common, not so well made Mexican glass coming from Portugal.

The Chinese too are on the verge of creating a very big problem for EAPG (Early American Pattern Glass) collectors. Somehow they have the old glass molds and or perhaps brand new copies of those molds at their disposal. They are suddenly making items that match in looks and quality of the originals, right down to there being a slight yellow glow to the glass when exposed to a black light, which I can't say is being done on purpose or is only a fluke. It seems that someone who has access to old molds or can make good copies of old glass molds knows what they are doing have been able to set up shop over there and export goods back here.

Most of the original EAPG pieces they are now doing in China were done in clear glass only and the past reproductions made by others have been done in colors, so it has always been pretty easy to tell which is which, also;  the colored reproductions were never sold in regular retail stores, as brand new, but instead were dumped on the secondary market from day one.

Beginning this year a good number of old EAPG glass patterns (many never reproduced before) and done in clear glass began showing up in a few regular retail stores, sold as brand new and for considerably less than the antique versions, so that's quite a change. While it is good that this glass being sold as new instead of old;  it's too easy for some crook to remove the tiny gold "Made in China" sticker, rub the bottoms on some rough surface to create the look of age and use and then try to pass it off as old on the secondary market.

I assume that anything which is popular and sells for high prices in antique stores and on ebay is being well kept track of and is fair game for reproduction. One of my hobbies, besides collecting glass is keeping track of new glass that shows up where I live and lately I have been seeing some very alarming things going on.

Sorry for such a long post and maybe it belongs in a thread by itself, but I figure someone might care to know what is going on.

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 12:24:39 PM »
:D Hello again,
Pictures of my real Ikora as promised:-

http://tinypic.com/51sltx
http://tinypic.com/51slzm
http://tinypic.com/51smc2

This is a much finer piece of glass than the yellow one, a totally different kettle of fish! (The funny yellow halo is a reflection of the grass!) I'm afraid the silvering inside did not come out in the picture, but you don't really see much of it anyway, because of some fool trying to scrub it out :evil: . I've done some stupid things in my time, but this one was not me!!
TTFN, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 08:17:12 PM »
Mike, thank you for your information. This is extremely useful for inexperienced collectors such as me who may not be ( as I wasn't ) of the scale of repro-production.

I think it should be a separate topic of its own as I fear it may get lost in the discussion about Yellow Glass and may thus be overlooked.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand