No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors vase - information requested please.  (Read 3761 times)

Anne E.B.

Orrefors vase - information requested please.
« on: May 08, 2005, 12:52:03 PM »
Hello everyone. Its my first time on the board so I'm a little nervous about doing things right - especially attaching the picture (confirmed Luddite!).  Can any one give me any information at all on my Orrefors vase.  It is 9" high, 4" at the widest and weighs a hefty 2.25kg. approx.  It has coloured daffodils and etching on the front.  On the base it has "Orrefors"  "Victoria Valentine"  and what looks like "7717 O7T". However, the base is worn and some of these might be letters not numbers.  Any ideas as to who designed it, how old it might be and approx. value would be much appreciated.  The "Victoria Valentine" has completely thrown me - is this the design name, or designer?  Thanks. Regards - Anne. http://tinypic.com/505h13

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Orrefors vase - information requested please.http://tinypic.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 03:33:02 PM »
Anne, I don't know if this will help or not, but it may give you a pointer. I found another piece in an old auction listing that was signed Victoria Valentine here:
http://www.edgarhorns.com/search.asp?view=lotno&auction=12233&lotno=95&uniqueid=165275-53

There is a picture of the item as well which doesn't (to me at least) resemble Orrefors, (though I could be wrong there!) so she maybe painted on blanks made by various glass works. The date given for the auctioned piece is 1979 so that again may help track down the artist. Hope this is useful. Good luck!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anne E.B.

Orrefors - Victoria Valentine
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 04:53:25 PM »
Many thanks Anne.  It hadn't occurred to me that it may well be the artist.  I will try to find out a bit more...  
Regards - Anne.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Orrefors
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 02:35:34 PM »
The form has a strong resemblance to the work created at the Strombergshyttan Glass Works. The color of light blue was discovered by Stromberg owners son in law and the rim is cut on a steep downward direction.

I have not seen painted glass from this glass works which was acquired by Orrefors Crystal Group in 1979 and then closed

A group of master glass blowers from Kosta Glass Works
started a studio there in 1987 and is also known
as Strombergshyttan ab.

There was painting studio down the hill from the hold shop it might be here that the piece was painted.

Bill Geary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anne E.B.

Victoria Valentine - Orrefors vase
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 03:05:21 PM »
Thank you Bill for your interesting comments.  When I spotted the vase, before seeing the marks on the base, I thought of Strombergshyttan because I had seen glass this shape previously.  My vase is clear glass as opposed to blue.   I'm not an expert in any way on glass, so I appreciate any help.  Thank you - Regards Anne.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand