No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart vs Vasart  (Read 4052 times)

leopard

Monart vs Vasart
« on: May 10, 2005, 01:51:20 PM »
Hello, I was hoping that someone may be able to help me. We are currently making a channel 4 show about antiques and collectables, and as part of one of our programmes we are featuring a vase that was originally sold at an auction as a Monart - however, it has since been taken to an expert who told us that it is in fact Vasart and therefore much less valuable. I was wondering whether I could email a picture of the vase to someone who would be able to tell me whether or not it is infact a fake please? And could someone also outline the difference between Monart and Vasart to me please?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Monart vs Vasart
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 03:37:33 PM »
Hi,

You can mail to me at Frank ATSIGN debook.com

Vasart is the continuation of Ysart glass by the same family that made Monart at Moncrieff.

Vasart is mostly produced in different colours and shapes to Monart and that is the main difference. From 1946-56 Vasart was signed but from 1956 to 64 they used a label. Vasart then Became Strathearn Glass at a new location and the last of the Ysart's left Strathearn. The Vasart shapes were continued at Strathearn but because of technical changes and colour supplier that is usually distinguishable from Vasart.

Just to confuse the issue there were a few contemporary makers and some descendants that produce glass in a similar style the so called "Ysart Style".

Values are variable because Monart was made in very small quantities as a part-time activity of the Ysart family at Moncrieff. Passing time is revealling some remarkable Vasart which competes on price with Monart, though generally Monart is the more expensive, particularly the very early production and lighting. Vasart is starting to increase in value as the scarcity of Monart makes Vasart and Strathearn more affordable alternatives in the style of glass.

However, compared to other Art Deco glass (Lalique, Schneider etc) Monart is relatively cheap - and prices are not highly consistent. This is because Monart was at the time it was made an expensive glass - each piece was hand-blown and shaped and there is not enough in existence to support a large enough community of collectors that would stabilise prices. However, the combined range of Ysart Style glass is sufficient to create a market and more and more collectors are always appearing. The market for Ysart glass in the USA has started to grow and in coming years this could lead to prices that make today's look like bargains. There will be little difference in price between the best Vasart and the 'Medium' Monart, leaving a reasonable pool of less exciting pieces affordable.

There are other types of glass not wildly dissimilar such as Nazeing, Gray-Stan and some lesser British glassworks that also are growing in popularity.

The ysartglass.com website provides sufficient information to help collectors identify the differences between the various types/periods in most cases. Although it is a lot of data there, a short guided tour is there for first time visitors.

glashaus

monart vs vasart
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 04:00:42 PM »
Hi frank,I've seen this vase "in the flesh"-it's definitely Vasart-V001-not signed so post '56.It's nice-but it's not Monart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand