No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID for 'flower and bubble' paperweight  (Read 7931 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Help with ID for 'flower and bubble' paperweight
« on: May 13, 2005, 09:00:39 PM »
Stranger and stranger; first I get logged out and then back in, now I post a message and it didn't appear – did I forget to type in the Subject Line?

Anyway, I don't suppose this 'weight is anything special, but I was attracted to the excellent organic appearance of the green flower tendrils with surrounding bubbles.

Following are some larger-size photos:
Side View
Top View
Close up

Thanks in advance.

David :mrgreen:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »
hi David

most prob made by royal crest
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 10:34:23 PM »
Thanks Ray — any advance on Royal Crest?

I know very little about 'weights!

David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 09:02:30 AM »
Hi

My reaction was the same as Rays i.e Royal Crest....they are often found boxed and have been very common in the last 5 years or so. Can often be picked up for as little as a few pounds but for what they are they canrepresent very good value for money. Some , but not all, are very well constructed and do have a degree of finishing to them.
Anyway I'm glad you posted this because I keep meaning to ask if anyone knows the country of origin. Despite the English vernacular attached I have always considered they were Chinese.........can anyone confirm or advise.??

ps

giving back the British Empire was one thing but selling off the mechanism of this country is lunacy.

regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 09:48:07 AM »
:D Hi, For what it's worth (not being a paperweight person), my gut reaction was Royal Crest too, just from previous discussions and pictures on this board. Try a search on the message board for this name. Cheers, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 11:13:30 AM »
Gareth, Sue,

Sorry for the lateness in replying - for some reason I wasn't notified of new replies.

Thanks for your input. I'm not a paperweight collecting type either - purely because I know naff all about them, but nonetheless appreciate the skills used to create such wonderful effects.

I must admit I'm very impressed by this particular make and did try searching for them to confirm country of make, but there are so many entries it'll be very difficult to confirm.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 03:20:54 AM »
Hi folks,

As I said in a thread a while ago in the main Glass messages, Royal Crest is (or was at the time) a name not known to me. I still know almost nothing about this maker / importer / agent or whatever. But I do now know that there are plenty of Royal Crest paperweights offered through eBay and often with many entries submitted by sellers based in the UK.

Most of these weights I have seen via eBay look very much like modern Chinese to me. If that's the case, then perhaps Royal Crest is a company which imports the weights and markets them with their own "design names" as shown on their "certificates" (which simply state "hand made ..." but do not give a source of manufacture). Another possibility is that Royal Crest is a trade name of some company, which again may be importing weights. On the other hand, they may be a company that are producing the weights and the similarity to modern Chinese is just coincidence.

I also know that Royal Crest is a name linked to (and seen stamped on the base of) china dinnerware. Maybe it's the same company and they have added glass paperweights to their range?
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 06:20:36 PM »
Hi again folks,

I received an enquiry about Royal Crest weights through the PCC website and the enquirer has now come back with some information after I suggested they may be importers.

Yes - it seems that in the UK, the import company Lesser & Pavey, based in Dartford, Kent is supplying these from China.

At least, the importer has dealt with various Chinese products for many years, after it became cheaper than sourcing from Europe (info from a Google search showing a 2003 news report for "art" goods)

The weights are also apparently stocked in some UK department stores (I don't know which ones though) under a brand called "The Leonardo Collection" - which links in nicely with the importer's address details.

Perhaps the "Royal Crest" certificates that are included in the box (but which give no details of source) are also produced in China on request? Or I suppose they may be inserted later by the importer.

Next questions to ponder - Are "Royal Crest" weights specific to this importer or are they simply regular Chinese production but "branded"? Can the same weights be found in various gift outlets at even cheaper prices than paid on eBay?
KevinH

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 06:38:49 PM »
KevH,

When we went to Skegness last year these weights were being sold in most gift type shops at £4.99 for big ones including box, and £3.99 for the  smaller ones.

Some were really nice but others seemed to be of lesser quality. :?

We had to look at a great many of these as eldest daughter had a boyfriend who collected paperweights, he obviously wasn't keen on these as it ended soon after :wink:

I haven't looked on Ebay to see what they are selling for, as you are well aware that I know next to nothing about them :oops: , but both you and Richard keep me on the straight and narrow. For this I really do thank you :D

Barbara

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 08:48:07 AM »
I agree that this weight is probably one sold under the name Royal Crest, although as has been pointed out,  the same or very similar weights are sold under the name Leonardo (and also another, which escapes me at the moment  :?)    

Some are indeed very good, as I said in another thread some time ago, but some are less than carefully finished and would probably have been rejected as 'seconds' by a more up-market company.  Mind you, heresy though it may be, I feel the same about some of the Caithness 'unlimited' weights!

And, it must be said, there is (inevitably, in a hand made product) a degree of variation in even the 'limited edition' weights which makes me for one aware of the need to pick and choose!   For example, I have a Caithness limited edition paperweight entitled 'Rainforest', designed by Helen MacDonald, which I consider to be far and away better quality than several others in the same edition which I have seen since purchasing mine.  The implication is that the quality varies, within given limits of course, in even the top end of the 'gift weight' market!  

I do also have a couple of Royal Crest (or Leonardo  :wink: ) weights in my collection, which I consider to be well made and attractive - more so than some of the mass-produced Caithness offerings!  

I try not to fall into that "Scottish = good quality, Chinese = mass-produced cr*p" mentality!   :twisted:

I wish we could find out exactly who is the 'Chinese' (generic term  :evil: )manufacturer of these rather nice weights we are beginning to see imported!  I do have this 'thing' about importers who don't give credit to the maker, as you may know   :oops:  :roll:

That's enough outta me, I guess   :P

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand