No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight  (Read 6489 times)

Offline tubitha

• Members
Paperweight
« on: May 29, 2004, 04:34:39 PM »
Bought this recently and and not sure where it came from.  Might be Chinese, base is slightly concave and polished smooth, size is 2.5 inches approximately.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Carol

http://www.scotglass.com/Features.asp

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 05:25:14 PM »
A close up of canes would help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tubitha

• Members
Paperweight
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 05:48:30 PM »
Hi

I have posted another picture on the features page, hope this clearer ?

Carol

Offline tubitha

• Members
Paperweight
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 10:34:36 AM »
Hello

I have examined this paperweight much more closely and I thought it might be useful if I described what I found.

At first I thought it was filled with simple canes but on closer inspection it is more complex. Need to get better specs!

The central cane is composed of yellow internal cog then a space and then in the centre there is another white/pink cane with 7 tiny canes then another central cane with four even tinier canes with a yellow central cane.

7 Blue canes with internal cog/daisy and then central cane with purple outer then white inner cog/daisy and orange centre.

16 yellow canes have a cane in the centre of the yellow external daisy/cog with 3 rings.

The outer ring is fairly easy to see on the picture.

The colour is quite blue and the base is polished smooth with wear around the pontil.

Taking this up to Willie Manson for his opinion today.

Carol

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Paperweight
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 11:15:37 AM »
The canes look like Vasart to me and the ground colour is also right for Vasart.

Kevin would probably know for sure - but he is going throught the joys of a computer upgrade to XP which caused me 8 weeks of hassle - hopefully not so much hassle for K.

Anonymous

Paperweight
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 02:20:29 PM »
We took the weight up for Willie Manson's opinion and he felt that the canes were Paul Ysart and not Vasart, said he recognised the yellow ones in particular. The other two we showed him are definitely Vasart according to him, which what was what we thought anyway.

Bought some more of his own weights can't resist!

Hopefully Kev H will be up and running soon and he can give his opinion on this one as well. We would value it as well.

Carol

Offline tubitha

• Members
Paperweight
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 02:57:53 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
We took the weight up for Willie Manson's opinion and he felt that the canes were Paul Ysart and not Vasart, said he recognised the yellow ones in particular. The other two we showed him are definitely Vasart according to him, which what was what we thought anyway.

Bought some more of his own weights can't resist!

Hopefully Kev H will be up and running soon and he can give his opinion on this one as well. We would value it as well.

Sorry came in as a guest by mistake!!

Carol/tubitha

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Paperweight
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 11:52:08 PM »
Hi,

I am having a break from the XP upgrade and using the parts I have already got up and running. Unfortunately, my main reference images are still on the "old" computer so it's not easy to check for details and to illustrate what I might find.

But ... in my web pages (see my profile) are cane tables for Signed Paul Ysart weghts and for early Vasart (Ysart Brothers period). From detailed links out of those, the following examples may help to settle the matter:

- http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/salv-ybros/cane-item15.htm
This shows canes of the "inner daisy" pattern similar to those in the centre and first row of the queried example. Since my example has a "Y" cane included it is 'definitely' a "Salvador / Ysart Brothers" item.

http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/salv-ybros/cane-item11.htm
This is a more typical (not so good quality) item most likely from the Ysart Brothers period. It has a cane which is similar in structure - and overall appearance - to those in the outer row of the queried weight.

http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/paul-ysart/signed/Detail018.htm
That shows a Paul Ysart weight, from the 1970s, which has canes of somewhat variable quality and some of which are very much like ones he used from the 1930s onwards. One is a Yellow-White Cog construct and another is a Green-White-Yellow construct, both being broadly similar to the Yellow Cog compex cane in the queried piece.

I have the greatest respect for Willie Manson but in this instance I feel he is incorrect.

Although I do not have an example of the actual Yellow Cog cane from the queried weight, I think it is clear from my Paul Ysart example listed above, that it is easy to confuse "lesser quality" Paul Ysart canes with "regular" early Vasart.

What is even more confusing is the fact that "inner daisy" canes such as those seen in many early Vasart weights were also used by Paul Ysart - and in the 1930s, too! See, for example:
- http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/paul-ysart/signed/Detail002.htm
This shows an "inner daisy" cane which, on its own, I would usually attribute to early Vasart!

And that point leads into even more confusion ... were "inner daisy" canes used by Salvdor in paperweights in the 1930s? So far, I have found absolutely no evidence to prove this, but I am keeping an open mind.

Finally, about the base - the description of "polished smooth with wear around the pontil" really needs more clarification, and preferably a good photo image. Often, early Vasart weights are ground in quiite a rough manner but I do have examples with varying grades of finish and some are very tidy indeed. But they all differ in detail from the equivalent base finishes of any of my Paul Ysart weights.
KevinH

Offline tubitha

• Members
Paperweight
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 09:14:15 AM »
Hi There

thank you for the detailed analysis of the weight.

Happy to go with Vasart if this is the consensus, I too have the greatest respect for Willie but not convinced that this is Paul Ysart.

I have put a picture of the base up on the site it is not the greatest quality but I trust it will give you the idea.  

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Paperweight
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 12:47:02 PM »
Transfering to the paperweight board.

Kev - this would seem to be a good topic for archive ?
or keep in the Paperweight forum ?
Would seem to be good for people learning about canes.

Tubitha could you re-post the pics ?
Tinypics unfortunatley only last a short time.
If you are short of space on your own website then we could suggest an alternative.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand