No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pall Mall  (Read 28167 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Pall Mall
« on: May 16, 2005, 08:52:11 AM »
On ebay this morning (yes, I check ebay first thing every morning  :oops: ) in the Victorian glass category I saw some glasses which the seller described as 'Pall Mall'.  :?

I don't generally collect this sort of glass, but I do happen to have a set of glasses with the identical pattern - inherited from my much-travelled Great Aunt again!  :roll:  

Can anyone tell me anything about them, and why 'Pall Mall'?

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Pall Mall
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 10:27:33 AM »
Not come across that before, seems to be applied to transfer etched glasses quite frequently though. So must be shown in a book somewhere.

It is also associated with Duncan Miller so may be one of their design names too.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
Pall Mall
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 02:13:46 PM »
Hi Leni,

If it is the pattern I am thinking of, I think they were sold at the begining of the last century in Woolworths, and were given the name Pall Mall to make them seem a little more "up market" :lol:

There are two versions, one with etched criss cross pattern at the bottom and one with cut criss cross pattern, the cut version being more collectable.

They are very popular today as full sets can still be made up and they are very "useable" (if thats a real word) the larger glasses being harder to find than the smaller port and sherry glasses.

Barbara

Offline Leni

• Members
Pall Mall
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 03:16:34 PM »
Quote from: "BJB"
There are two versions, one with etched criss cross pattern at the bottom and one with cut criss cross pattern, the cut version being more collectable.

Well, mine have the cut pattern round the bottom - more collectable!  Yay!  :lol:  
They are very popular today as full sets can still be made up and they are very "useable" (if thats a real word) the larger glasses being harder to find than the smaller port and sherry glasses.

I don't know about very useable!  They are very thin glass!  :shock:

I have three tumblers.  I thought I had more, but the other four are slightly smaller and a different pattern.  Same sort of etched work, but more sort of swags and loops.    

Thanks for the info Barbara  :D

So 'Pall Mall' refers to the specific pattern then, not generic transfer etching?  Woolworths!  Typical!   :roll:  :lol:

Leni
Leni

Offline BJB

• Members
Pall Mall
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 05:07:28 PM »
Hi Leni,

I think its because they are still reasonably easy to find, so if you're having a dinner party etc there should enough to go around the guests! Me I prefer something larger ( a small swallow of wine is no good to me :wink: )

Not that we have many dinner parties either, with five to start with, it doesn't leave much table room for others, but fish and chips do taste better with silver cutlery and crystal glass  :lol:

Just to prove the point I have just got rid of, i.e. sold in auction, 36 port glasses & 8 sherry glasses in the most common pattern , the Greek Key, and got back a grand total of £7.50, however the wine glasses sold for £70.00 for 8 on ebay a couple of months ago. The others I couldn't get a bid for at 99p for 6. This just goes to show that, in some cases, size does matter :oops:

Barbara

Offline dianneM

• Members
Re: Pall Mall
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:37 AM »
Hi there Leni, Well I've sold Pall Mall on eBay several times over the past 7 years and always been bowled over by the price they've achieved. Back then I searched hard all over Google and the U.K.

Offline dianneM

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
Hi Leni again, I hit something and lost my message... I also searched the U.S. eBay site. Now I have more to sell in all different sizes and shapes and again I hunted for information. I can tell you there's nothing much there. The poms think because the name of these glasses is Pall Mall they were made mysteriously in the north of England, maybe a fire destroyed all the paperwork. This is all rubbish, because I found it!!!! I found an original advertisement with all the sizes and patterns listed and the heading is BOHEMIAN CRYSTAL! I'm so excited to know this. They are very old. Probably even early Victorian era. The fine glass is no indication that they will break easily, there are too many about for this to be true. So with the printed ad, I'm running with the fact that they were made in Europe and all information was in either Austrian or Czech and this has not been translated to English and THAT'S the reason they are impossible to research. I  love them. They are like holding a bubble. Very beautiful and special... WOOLWORTHS eat your heart out! Bet they never made it inside one of their stores. They are also wheel etched which is one of the hardest forms of decoration ever and only the cleverest engraver of them all can do it! Hope this information helps. Cheers Dianne. p.s. This fine glass has nothing at all to do with Duncan Miller's swan which has the name Pall Mall and that's where the similarity ends. So you have a winner! Di

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:56:10 AM »
Hi Dianne The very common Pall Mall glasses we find here in the UK are usually transfer etched. Their commoness suggests that they were very possibly sold by Woolworths. As to date 1920s/1930s/1940s would seem more likely for ours.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
I have no idea if this has anything to do with what are sometimes called the thin 'pall mall' glasses (and I've not kept the link ... sorry) but looking at something for Schreiber and Neffen last night I came across a whole host of patterns that looked like they might have been for needle etched type glass or similar.

Sorry I didn't keep the link but there were absolutely loads of patterns - it was in their catalogues.

m

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
My "wedding" crystal is finely etched and made by Bohemia  Crystal. I was very surprised years ago (after I had recently picked that pattern) to find three glasses of it in my mother's china cabinet. She told me she had brought them back from my grandfather's house when he died. So it was originally released (I think) in the 1910/20 era and then again in the late 80's.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand