Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Resolved Glass Queries

Pall Mall

(1/3) > >>

Leni:
On ebay this morning (yes, I check ebay first thing every morning  :oops: ) in the Victorian glass category I saw some glasses which the seller described as 'Pall Mall'.  :?

I don't generally collect this sort of glass, but I do happen to have a set of glasses with the identical pattern - inherited from my much-travelled Great Aunt again!  :roll:  

Can anyone tell me anything about them, and why 'Pall Mall'?

Leni

Frank:
Not come across that before, seems to be applied to transfer etched glasses quite frequently though. So must be shown in a book somewhere.

It is also associated with Duncan Miller so may be one of their design names too.

BJB:
Hi Leni,

If it is the pattern I am thinking of, I think they were sold at the begining of the last century in Woolworths, and were given the name Pall Mall to make them seem a little more "up market" :lol:

There are two versions, one with etched criss cross pattern at the bottom and one with cut criss cross pattern, the cut version being more collectable.

They are very popular today as full sets can still be made up and they are very "useable" (if thats a real word) the larger glasses being harder to find than the smaller port and sherry glasses.

Barbara

Leni:

--- Quote from: "BJB" ---There are two versions, one with etched criss cross pattern at the bottom and one with cut criss cross pattern, the cut version being more collectable.
--- End quote ---

Well, mine have the cut pattern round the bottom - more collectable!  Yay!  :lol:  

--- Quote ---They are very popular today as full sets can still be made up and they are very "useable" (if thats a real word) the larger glasses being harder to find than the smaller port and sherry glasses.
--- End quote ---

I don't know about very useable!  They are very thin glass!  :shock:

I have three tumblers.  I thought I had more, but the other four are slightly smaller and a different pattern.  Same sort of etched work, but more sort of swags and loops.    

Thanks for the info Barbara  :D

So 'Pall Mall' refers to the specific pattern then, not generic transfer etching?  Woolworths!  Typical!   :roll:  :lol:

Leni

BJB:
Hi Leni,

I think its because they are still reasonably easy to find, so if you're having a dinner party etc there should enough to go around the guests! Me I prefer something larger ( a small swallow of wine is no good to me :wink: )

Not that we have many dinner parties either, with five to start with, it doesn't leave much table room for others, but fish and chips do taste better with silver cutlery and crystal glass  :lol:

Just to prove the point I have just got rid of, i.e. sold in auction, 36 port glasses & 8 sherry glasses in the most common pattern , the Greek Key, and got back a grand total of £7.50, however the wine glasses sold for £70.00 for 8 on ebay a couple of months ago. The others I couldn't get a bid for at 99p for 6. This just goes to show that, in some cases, size does matter :oops:

Barbara

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version