No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Smokey amber craquelé vase  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Smokey amber craquelé vase
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 05:59:02 PM »
In Arwas Art of Glass the François-Eugène Rousseau and the Ernest-Baptiste Leveille examples appear side by side. Rousseau started with glass in 1867 and Leveille joined him as aglass decorator in 1877. Both examples differ in the technique used, both are also cameo's and the manner of applying the colour differs from your example. I can imagine an auction house attributing examples like this too them but I remain sceptical.

They could have also attributed to the makers of this piece . Which also exists in a clear example with bubbles and just a few patches of colour.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Another"What is it"?
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 07:13:49 PM »
Frank,

Whilst I understand your scepticism, I really don't think that you're comparing like with like here.

The pieces that you allude to in Arwas's "Art Nouveau to Art Deco, The Art of Glass" pp 10 (not to be confused with the book I quoted earlier in this thread, for others benefit) are not the same beast at all.

They are both from more sophisticated and technically accomplished ranges produced by both artists, which admittedly give a nod toward what we're talking about here, but employ cameo decoration across the surface of the vases, which largely masks the technique underneath.

One of the difficulties here is that we are discussing illustrations, without the benefit of handling the item(s). Moreover, the items in question are rare, so inevitably there will be a divergence of opinion.

It seems to be a red herring to bring in an illustration of an item from a known manufacturer (Monart), which has a different finish with the enamel on the surface of the vase, and, apart from having patches of colour, bares little resemblence to the piece in question. Further, although there may be another piece by the same company that is cased , having random patches of colour and bubble decoration, there is no mention of crackling within the glass - as is shown with the piece under discussion.

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but is it that your just sceptical about the attribution, which I can appreciate and respect, or are we talking about mis-attribution by auctioneers? - which is an entirely different subject.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 08:51:34 PM »
I cannot really add anything to the discussion of attribution of Steve's item, but I can quote from Apsley Pellat's book, Curiosities of Glafs Making - first published 1849. This adds an interesting comment or two about the type of glass and certainly confirms what Steve concluded as  
... the Venetians probably invented it and it was picked up again later around 1850.

In a section headed, Old Venetian Frosted Glass, Pellat said:
Frosted Glass, ... is one of the few specimens of Venetain work not previously made by the Egyptians and Romans; and not since excuted by the Bohemian or French Glass-makers. The process of making it, until recently practised at the Falcon Glass Works, was considered a lost art.
So the term Pellat used was "Frosted Glass", indicating that somebody else at a later date came up with "Crackle" or "Ice Glass" or other names. The Falcon Glass Works was Pellat's company so he defintely laid claim to the "practise of the lost art" of Frosted Glass made by dipping the blown gather, "while nearly at white heat" in cold water.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SteveM

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 10:44:12 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I must say that when I found the photo of the vase attributed to Léveillé,I was struck by the similarity of the glass colour,craquelé and applied colour to that of my vase.
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=5arfns

It was only after I photographed the vase that I noticed a small piece of green in one part of the decoration.That could be the "lichen" effect that you mentioned,Nigel.

As I mentioned in a previous post,I almost certainly have another large dish which is WMF Ikora(Thanks to Frank for that link).That dish has a craquelé-like finish when seen at a distance but close-up it is not craquelé at all..more like a "spider-web" application on the glass but not through it.
I'll post a photo of that one too when I get around to it.

Thanks again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand