No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Incalmo Technique? - Venini EggTimers + More  (Read 6223 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Incalmo Technique? - Venini EggTimers + More
« on: May 20, 2005, 05:15:23 PM »
This topic has been edited from the "Best piece in your Murano collection" Topic....

This is Cathy's photo of her Murano collection, of which the small Venini Egg timer started this discussion about the "Incalmo" Technique.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/glass47/AllItalian.jpg

Quote from: "Max"
I'm so happy!  These are GREAT pieces!  I'm a bit of a Murano girl at heart you see.   :D

I think (Javier might correct me) that Cathys smaller eggtimer is incalmo, which is a terribly difficult technique...how super to own one!....  

Hi Max,
I am not sure, but I think the Egg timers are made in 2 separate pieces (anyone, please let me know if Im wrong), so I dont think they would be called incalmo. If they are 1 piece, them I would think so.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 05:47:44 PM »
I am not sure, but I think the Egg timers are made in 2 separate pieces (anyone, please let me know if Im wrong), so I dont think they would be called incalmo. If they are 1 piece, them I would think so.
Javier

Isn't incalmo two separate blown pieces umm...sort of 'hot fused' together? Hold on...Venini's site says:

Incalmo:  A highly difficult technique that consists of joining two blown glass shapes of identical diameter while hot, so as to obtain a single object composed of different parts, usually made of different colours.

That does sounds like the egg-timers doesn't it?  Well, unless they're joined in another way?  :?  :?  I love the look it achieves anyway, especially in cylinder vases.
I am not a man

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 06:07:24 PM »
Hi Max,
Guess I should have explained myself a little better.
I think the egg timers are made in 2 separate pieces and then put together after cooled. I think that is how they can put the sand inside. "Incalmo" would be done while hot, and fuse the 2 glass pieces together.

Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 06:30:13 PM »
I think the egg timers are made in 2 separate pieces and then put together after cooled. I think that is how they can put the sand inside.

LOLOL!  Quite so Javier!  Stupid me!  
I am not a man

Offline CathyG

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 02:23:36 AM »
I believe the sand was added after the piece was blown. That's why they have holes with cork stoppers. The Incalmo technique makes sense to me. I've seen pieces put together after cooling and these pieces don't look put together their all one piece.

CathyG
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 02:26:19 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Cathy.

If anyone else has samples of "Incalmo" pieces, or wants to add to our discussion, clearify, or just put your 2 cents in, please do!

Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 11:05:54 PM »
Here's another sample of the Incalmo technique

Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline CathyG

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 12:56:13 AM »
That's beautiful Javier!!!  :)
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 04:51:31 PM »
Lovely vase Javier!  Who was the maker?  Will you let me know if you have some Venini for sale?  As long as it's a small piece and vaguely affordable....  :roll:  :D
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 05:51:11 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
Will you let me know if you have some Venini for sale?  As long as it's a small piece and vaguely affordable....  :roll:  :D

Have a look at Javier's website!  He's got some super pieces  :shock:  Don't know what you would call affordable though  :roll:

I especially like the Tyra Lundgren leaf / feather!   :shock:  :D  And the Archimede Seguso 'Bollicine' piece is superb!  :D  But it's pink, so you won't like it  :wink:  :lol:

And as for the Sommerso Cranberry pink VALVA bowl - yes, that *is* the correct spelling!   :lol:  :roll:  :oops: - you'll HATE that!  :twisted:

OK, OK, I'm going   :P :wink:

Leni  xx
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand