No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id help please, for opaque blue vase with handpainted flowers  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ckscot

• Members
Can anyone give me any info on this vase, please?  I thought I had seen something similar on a previous thread but now I can't find it.  I had assumed it was modern and worthless (it's not my style at all) but maybe someone out there knows better.....  It's 8.25" high and just over 3" in diameter. The rim and base are painted a reddish brown colour.  There are no identifying marks anywhere.  Sorry the image isn't too sharp. Thanks.
   http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7608
Iain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: id help please, for opaque blue vase with handpainted flowers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 09:30:59 PM »
part of a set of three called a "chest set"- for use atop cabinets. Made and decorated in Bohemia around 1880-1900, usually quite crude.  For some reason these are not collected much.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 09:45:21 PM »
Thanks for that info Ivo.  It is certainly fairly crudely decorated, so it fits your description, but I'm surprised (and delighted) it  could be as old as that, since the glass is quite thin and feels easily breakable.  I suppose someone must have loved/valued it a lot to safeguard it for over 100 years.
Iain

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 06:45:18 AM »
Actually many of these handpainted vases do sell on ebay. The bigger and the better, the higher the price of course and a proper pair (i.e., mirror images) is even better. If you have a UV light check it to see if it glows bright green; if so, that adds desirability. Not sure about the term chess set, I would have said garniture set.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 07:51:20 AM »
I had one of those but it got thrown out by mistake. :)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_401.jpg
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 07:55:44 AM »
Hi Christine,

"Chest set" is a translation from Dutch to English for the term used here, which is "Kaststel." It is one of those words that it difficult to translate. I even know the English word for it, but couldn't for the life of me remember as it is a term that I haven't used for a very long time, and I have only seen the Dutch word being used for the last 7 years. There are plenty for sale over here, mostly pottery/porcelain.  :)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 08:23:45 AM »
Oh dear Tiger, that was a nice one! :(
Thanks Della, the word will reappear. Not console set?

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 09:50:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions about the name.  For what it's worth, I checked on Ebay and found 22 entries for garniture set (although most of them seemed to involve candlesticks), 9 entries for console set (all involving vases) and, sadly, none for chest set.  So garniture set wins the popular vote, but console set seems to fit my vase better.  So I'll give it a go on Ebay sometime and see how i get on.
Thanks, Iain
Iain

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 10:26:27 PM »
I thought garniture applied to a set of which straddled a clock.

Console set is a US term

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 08:48:11 AM »
I've had a rummage about this morning and, according to my Miller's Collecting Blue and White China book a garniture is "a set of usually three vases or urns for decoration".  But I had another look on Ebay and most of the garniture sets there DO include clocks (- although few of them look like the items I found last night!)  And yes, all the console sets on Ebay are American.
Iain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand