No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnival Question - ID = Imperial Fashion punch bowl base  (Read 6833 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Carnival Question - ID = Imperial Fashion punch bowl base
« on: May 27, 2005, 08:48:48 AM »
A while ago my mother-in-law asked me to sell some Carnival glass for her.  She had had it some time - wasn't sure quite how long - and wanted the cash more than she wanted the glass  :(   

I am not a fan of Carnival glass, so I just put it on ebay at fairly low prices.  But then my daughter-in-law came to visit, saw one piece and loved it, so she 'bought' it for a nominal sum and m-i-l was quite pleased that it was at least staying 'in the family'   ::)

The other pieces I was able to identify and they sold for reasonable, though not very exciting prices.  However, I was unable to identify the piece my d-i-l took   :-\   She still has it and loves it - it takes pride of place on her antique (dark wood) table, where I have to admit it does look quite good   :o - but I would love to know something about it, as I admit other threads about Carnival glass have aroused my interest somewhat  ::)

Here's a (very poor - taken on an old mini digital camera) pic. I apologise for the quality

http://tinypic.com/5e5vg2  Mod: Link dead but see pics below

Can anyone tell me what it is?

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Carnival Question - ID = Imperial Fashion punch bowl base
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 09:31:18 AM »
Hi Leni - it's the base to a Fashion punch bowl. Turn it the other way up....it would then have a large bowl placed onto it. There would also be 6 cups plus metal hooks. "Fashion" was made by the Imperial Glass company (Bellaire, Ohio) USA.

A lot of carnival was multi-purpose (part of the marketing strategy) so punch bowl bases could be used upturned as you have here. In fact sometimes the bases were used as vases or compotes.

I have a single base too (no top) that I pop another large bowl on and fill with fruit. Looks magnificent!

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 01:41:56 PM »
As an afterthought, Leni, you could very possibly find yourself a Fashion punch bowl top on eBay. I have seen them for sale before on UK eBay.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 08:39:21 AM »
We visited son & d-i-l over the holiday w'end and I took the opportunity to have another look at the 'vase' 

I must admit I am surprised and puzzled at the idea of it being used 'upside-down' as a base for a punch-bowl, as the 'top' edge is very wavy and it doesn't look as if it would stand very securely  I must admit I didn't get it down from the shelf to try, as we were a bit too busy playing with the twins in the hot-tub  However, I trust Glen's judgement! 

I don't think d-i-l is interested in acquiring a bowl for on top of it though, she is just happy to have it standing on her shelf, the same way up it has always been

Personally, it's still not to my taste   Sorry, Glen 

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 09:00:35 AM »
You don't have to "trust my judgment" Leni....you can look at a contemporary ad that was shown in a circa 1915 "Lee manufacturing" catalog. The item featured is an Imperial "Fashion" punch set.

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/LEEads2.html

I tried to find an eBay auction that might show you a photo of a set - there isn't an active one.

I understand your concern about the ruffling on the edge, but it really does work alright. The punch set is actually very stable when set up. Not all (Carnival) punch bases are as ruffled as that. Some are in fact very flat, while others have more shaping. (Imperial did that more than the other makers).

You don't have to apologise for not liking Carnival Glass, Leni. We are all different (and there's a whole lot of other glass that I see on this board that leaves me cold). I simply like to try and help, and to give information with regard to Carnival and its history when I can - I'm not trying to start a fan club for it   ;)

Glen

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 09:58:23 AM »
Seriously, many thanks for your help   It's fascinating to see the punch-bowl set-up as intended!    I wonder where my mother-in-law got the 'vase' in the first place!   She has no recollection, and thinks it might have been *her* mother-in-law's! 

Obviously a family tradition has been started 

Thanks again

Leni
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 01:26:02 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if at one time there was a punch bowl on top of the base my m-i-l 'inherited'.  It could have been broken years before by *her* m-i-l and she wouldn't ever have been aware that it used to have one! 

I wonder how old it is?  Can you tell me when exactly were they made? 

(As the child of an older mother, who was herself the youngest child of an older mother, I often find myself 'out of step' with the age of things.  For example, I don't tend to think of any things made in the 20thC as being really 'old' at all! )   

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 02:20:37 PM »
Hi Leni - the near-cut (intaglio) designs were a speciality of Imperial - they made some superb examples. In 1909 they issued a general catalog of crystal glass that had a wide range of intaglio geometrics - including the "Fashion" items. Note the pattern name "Fashion" was given to the design by collectors, and not by the manufacturer. Imperial actually referred to the punch bowl as their #4029 ½ (the water pitcher and punch cup were #402 ½).

Their iridescent items were introduced round about that date - and as you will have noted in the Lee Manufacturing ad that I posted for you, the Carnival punch set was being marketed in 1915 (and very possibly for a number of years after that date - it was a very popular item).

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand