No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nice Carnival rose bowl ID: "Sunburst", probably L.E. Smith  (Read 4937 times)

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members
While trying to research this piece, I got very confused.  I was seeing whirling stars in my sleep!  What can I expect to sell this for? Thank you.
Linda
You can't hurt your eyes by looking on the bright side...

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 07:34:12 AM »
I don't have a lot of time to write (on my way out right now) but this is a modern item. Looks like L E Smith, Hobstar & Pinwheel, but hopefully someone else will jump in and correct or confirm.

G
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline popsmcchicken

• Members
Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 02:29:24 PM »
I agree with Glen.  Definitely a contempory piece.

As to what you can expect to sell it for - as with all pieces - what someone is willing to pay.  I posted a piece on ebay about a month ago.  It had a "book" value of $250.  I received three bids over $600, and it finally ended at $683.  The buyer was delighted.  In contrast, I had also posted a piece that had a "book" value of over $1,200.  It received one bid for $9.99.
Pops McChicken

Offline SteveM

• Members
Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 11:44:18 PM »
Isn't this late/post Victorian pressed lustre/iridescent glass?

I'm sure that I've seen similar on BBC Flog It prog.At auction,I seem to rember that one of these items(or maybe it was a group) went for £30-£40
but another piece went for almost nothing.

Sorry,but my recollection is a little hazy and even a couple of glasses of wine(medicinallly) has not improved my memory.  8)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 01:31:43 PM »
Linda - as a PS, I think the original pattern/moulds may well have been McKee. I know that L E Smith did some shapes in this pattern, and I am fairly sure they were using old McKee moulds. However, I am fairly sure that Fenton  have used this pattern ("Sunburst") too but I cannot be 100% certain of the shapes (probably a vase and pitcher).

Can you check and see if there is a cursive F on the base of the item? And hopefully anyone who is very "au fait" with the huge amount of modern Carnival that has been produced will be able to help us

SteveM - it is contemporary Carnival Glass, not classic old Carnival. The date for the start of production of Carnival is usually given as c. 1907-1908. However, Carnival is also still being made today.

Re. the Flog It programme that featured some Carnival fairly recently - I wrote to the programme's producers and complained that they had given out very misleading information regarding the Carnival they showed (in fact they were factually incorrect on a number of points). I had a reply in which they acknowledged what I said and agreed that their "experts" were not really very au fait with Carnival Glass.

The value of Carnival can go from a few pounds / dollars right up to thousands and thousands and thousands.

Glen

Offline SteveM

• Members
Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 03:53:40 PM »
Thanks Glen.

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members
Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 02:51:10 AM »
Glen,
  I can't find any marks at all on this piece, every place I have tried to research it has been just a little different pattern.  I was told it had been packed for 40 years, so that's why I assumed it was old.  There is a tag (homemade) on the inside that says:       S L
                                                         $48.50
                                                          Fenton
It must have been in a sale somewhere,  a pretty hefty price for 40 years ago, huh?

Pops, thanks for the input.  I have been thinking that E Bay is a very confusing place to find prices,   (I know,  "Duh? 'Ya Think?!?!?".)  I am not too quick on the uptake sometimes.  I have some Heisey (?) glass horse heads that I saw there that went for 50 bucks.  Well, they USED to be worth more, maybe they will be again.

Steve, I sure wish you were right, I was hoping it was like a real rare treasure.. :lol:  Oh well, another day, another dollar.....Pour me a glass of that good stuff, that will work!!!!

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members
Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 09:15:20 AM »
I want to leave the measurements of this rose bowl
it is 5 1/2 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches tall.  It is alot
heaver that it looks, I was very surprised at how heavy it is.

Linda

Connie

Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 10:39:37 AM »
I have not found any evidence so far that this is Fenton.

Fenton does make a Pinwheel pattern in limited numbers but it is not part of their regular line. IOW they don't have a Pinwheel line.  I didt find an example of a Pinwheel comport made in orange carnival glass in 1972-73. But they didn't make a rose bowl in this pattern in orange.

So then I tried to identify the color, which is often the easiest method of dating a Fenton piece.  The color most closely resembles Gold Pearl which was made in 1992.  But they only made pieces in 9 patterns (Pinwheel wasn't one of them) and they had extreme difficulty with the color formulation so they didn't continue production after that initial run in 1992.

If it is Fenton, post 1970-73, then it will be marked somewhere.  With a piece like this it is often marked inside since the pattern is so heavy on the outside including the bottom.  It should be marked with "Fenton" in an oval and a number underneath denoting the decade of production (8,9,0).

Fenton could have made the piece for someone else and it wouldn't be marked Fenton.  I looked in my Fenton Special Order book 1980-Present and it isn't in there.

So I am at a loss of when Fenton made this piece.

Look again closely for a mark.  Run your finger along the inside (sides and bottom) Also if the outside bottom isn't patterned - look and feel there.

Edited to add: This is not one of Fenton's original carnival glass colors from  early 1900's. Fenton stopped making carnival glass around 1930 and didn't make any again until the 1970s and all the new production is marked if Fenton made it for themselves.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Nice Carnival rose bowl
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »
Linda, did the handwritten label actually state "Fenton"? Of course, contemporary production of Carnival dates back to the 1960s, so it's possible the bowl has been packed away for a number of years - though people often over-estimate the time - it's easy to do. I don't think this bowl looks as if it was an early piece of contemporary Carnival - more likely to be in the last couple of decades.

There is a rose bowl that was on eBay (item 7325134476) that is very similar to yours. The seller noted that it had the Fenton F mark.

But as I said, this pattern is certainly one that L E Smith have used - but I only have archive info showing other shapes (eg butter dish).

Connie - I also checked out the Special Order book - as you say, nothing there.

I've contacted a friend who is very knowledgable about modern Carnival. Fingers crossed that he may be able to help.

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand