No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Awesome Grass Green Decanter = Scandinavian  (Read 3689 times)

Connie

Awesome Grass Green Decanter = Scandinavian
« on: May 28, 2005, 10:07:56 PM »
I just got this at a local estate auction here in upstate NY.   It is very finely made heavy green glass with a solid, flat top crystal stopper.  The bottom has a polished, recessed pontil mark and shows wear to the base.  

The decanter is 11 inches tall including the stopper.  Inside the neck is ground.  The bottom on the stopper is also ground.

Green Decanter

Stopper

Bottom

Connie

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 10:04:45 AM »
Does anyone have a Steuben book? Is there any possibility it is Steuben?

The reason I am wondering is at the same auction and from the same consigner, I bought a Steuben Scroll Dish which was designed by G. Thompson in 1952. It is signed - Steuben.

When I finished photographing all my treasures and was putting away the glass, I picked up the scroll dish and then the decanter. It immediately struck me how similiar the feel of the glass. The glass is extremely silky, heavy for the size but without being clunky. The finish is superb.

Remember I live in upstate NY a couple of hours from Corning.

Steuben stopped making colored glass when Carder left (was forced out) and the design of this piece suggests post 1930s, but then I could be worng.   :P

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 10:28:53 AM »
Hi Connie, Great decanter. I think that Steuben mostly is signed. As to books, I have some on my list to order. Steuben is something I need to know more about. Terry

Connie

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 10:57:52 AM »
Steuben is most often signed but not all.

When I first moved to NY about 2 years ago, I was at a local auction.  There was a set of pink and white glasses.  Something kept tickling the back of my brain about what they were.  I came home from the preview and searched and couldn't find any info.  Asked on several glass boards and no one knew.  Went to the auction the next day and when the glasses came up, I bid up to about $250.  They sold to the other bidder at the next bid (everyone else had dropped out.)

About 6 months later, I saw the same glasses in a book.  They were Steuben Rosaline and Alabaster stemware!!!!  :shock:   Someone bought around 24 glasses of Steuben for $250 and it wasn't me  :(

Terry - I was just looking through L-W Books last night and I have a huge wish list.  I am going to buy several Steuben books also.  I don't have any because when I lived in SC, the chances of me running across a piece of Steuben was pretty remote.  Since moving to upstate NY, I have seen identified pieces come up fairly frequently.  I just wonder how much is not recognized  :?

Connie

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 11:57:50 AM »
Follow-up to prevent anyone going on a wild goose chase :D

I put the decanter and Steuben bowl side by side and I noticed that the crystal stopper on the decanter had a slight peach hue when compared to the piece of Steuben. Steuben is known for their absolute crystal clear glass so I am now thinking that it may be a red herring thinking it could be Steuben.

Connie

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 08:19:52 PM »
What are the chances mine is Holmegaard or Kastrup :?

The color, balance, and "feel" of the stopper look similar to me  :roll:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 08:29:57 PM »
I figure chances of your decanter being Holmegaard are around 85 %

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 08:53:45 PM »
I would say that the shape and finish steers my opinion toward Kastrup/Holmegaard too, although it's not a design I've seen before.

In any case, it's almost certainly Scandinavian.

Connie

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 10:39:17 AM »
Thank you, Ivo and Nic.  I have revised my description of the decanter on my website.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand