No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: DIY paperweight stands  (Read 4719 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
DIY paperweight stands
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:18:28 PM »
Hi,
I prefer to spen my money on the weights rather than the accesories (read "I'm cheap"), and needing quite a lot, I was wondering about making stands for my weights. (Unless somebody knows of a really cheap supplier!)
I was thinking of trying to get hold of clear (not sure if I will get this) or black (maybe) or white (can get) PVC pipe and cutting it like this (side view):
|\
| \
|  \
|   \  /|
|    \/ |
|       |
I'll then work the edges down with sandpaper to ensure that the rough edges are gone or cover the edges in electricians tape to make sure they dont scratch the glass. Different diametres pipe can be used for different sizes of weights.
Advantages: Cheap. Easy to make. By using different lengths of pipe one can display 2 or even three rows of weights behind each other.
Problems/Disadvantages: The pipe will most likely be solid in colour and will cut the light to the weights.  If the angles are not right the weights may slip off the stand and fall! It could look really crappy and kill the beauty of the weights.
Comments and advice please.
Kind regards,
KarelM
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: DIY paperweight stands
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 02:32:05 PM »
*waves* I'm another cheapskate collector.

I think they would have to be made of clear pipe, otherwise you will get loss of light to the weight.

I made a tilted shelf long ago out of a piece of plexiglas. I bolted on a piece of wood for the weights to rest on sideways. Then I put blocks in the side of the cabinet for the self to rest on at an angle with a pin at the bottom to keep the shelf from sliding. The weights are tilted just enough so I can see their faces and they get plenty of light from the backs because of the plexiglas. I put clear rubber feet on the weights to keeps them from slipping sideways into each other.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 04:45:24 PM »
Hi,
I had another look ar my attempt at drawing above and realised it would not work so I made a model!
This one is just from the inside of a roll of bogg paper but it gives the idea.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7650
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7649
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7651 (that point needs to be cut off!!)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7648
The above gives an idea of how the stands would look, four cuts should gibe the right effect.\
All the photos where taken in my new, white photo tent on which I am posting at:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html
Kind regards,
KarerM,
PS the weight is a Strathearn
Karel

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 05:40:11 PM »
Karel, if you stand these on a glass shelf illuminated from below the tubes should illuminate the weights quite nicely from below too. Make sure you use low heat lamps such as LEDs to avoid big temperature changes though, if you do add lighting - although one of my glass cabinets has a cold cathode tube in it and that doesn't get hot either.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »
If you get an icecream container, the plastic ones that hold about a litre or two,  look at the bottom and see if it has a little semi circular dent in it.  If it does, eat the icecream first, and then you can use it under your sweep (the backdrop material that came with the tent) and position the paperweight any direction you like (pretty much, be aware then do slip sometimes...).

Very cheap and you get icecream too....
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:01:40 AM »
Anne,
That would look great but I would have to replace all my shelves with glas or clear plastic and then fit extra lighting!!!
Lynne,
I think I have just found a source for the clear plastic tubes I'll need.  If I use your cup idea and cut them to the shape in the pics above it could work as part of the permanent display.  I'll see what I can come up with.
Kind regards and thanks for the help!
KarelM
Karel

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:45:48 PM »
Is it not so much easier to make your own from perspex? needs cutting then bending.....

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:36:36 AM »
Hi,
Perspex is a possibility.  The cutting part is not that difficult although working the cuts smooth with sandpaper is a bit of work (I dont have an electric sander here).  Bending would need heat and that is where I got stuck.  A naked flame will make the perspects bubble and burn I think and a stripping gun (those super hairdryer things) would have the same type of effect.  Any other ideas?
Kind regards
KarelM
Karel

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »
What about making little bags of white or black velvet and filling them with lentils or rice, to make little bean bags that you could position your weights on in whichever position you like?

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 06:45:40 PM »
Hi Karel,
          One piece of information I was given a long time ago at a convention concerning the bending of Perspex was this..make a drawing of the final shape of the stand, but as if it has been flattened out,then cut the perspex to match the drawing.The following bit is the trick which I must point out that I have never tried and I would warn anyone to be very careful while doing it.Anyway according to the man who told me all you need to do is to put the perspex in boiling water and it apparently becomes pliable after a short time.If anyone is brave enough to try this, you can let us all know how it went(after the burns on the fingers heal no doubt :)).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand