No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: asking for help to identify piece of glass.  (Read 2074 times)

Offline allan.s

• Members
asking for help to identify piece of glass.
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:34:55 PM »
Hi, this is my first time on this site having registered today. I have been trying to identify a piece of glass which I bought for my wifes birthday. It was sold to me as having been manufactured at Sunderland. The piece is pressed glass, dusty pink in colour, approx 16inches in diameter and has four small feet in the centre of the base. the design is of native american indians on horseback hunting buffalo. It is a heavy piece of glass and I cannot find any makers mark. The top surface of the dish is smooth. If anyone can be of any assistance I would be very grateful, many thanks in advance, allan.s

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Online Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: asking for help to identify piece of glass.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:14:54 PM »
Hello Allan & welcome to the board,

The design doesn't sound like any Sunderland made piece I am aware of. I seem to recall that Cambridge glass of Ohio, USA, made a pattern similar to what you describe but I don't have any references to hand. A photo of the item would be helpful, see here for guidelines on adding pictures to glassgallery: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6530.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: asking for help to identify piece of glass.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 11:04:16 AM »
It sounds like the Summit Glass Buffalo Hunt Bowl which was made using an old Tiffin Glass mould that dated from the 1920s. The design was inspired by an original painting by Frederick Remington that hangs in the Smithsonian. They are massive and impressive pieces. I have a Summit one (circa 1990s) in cobalt blue Carnival. The late Russ Vogelsong (owner of Summit) told me that they made only a limited number owing to the huge amount of glass that went into these bowls.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand