No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Emerald bubble Bullet - Holmegaard ?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Hotglass

• Members
Emerald bubble Bullet - Holmegaard ?
« on: June 26, 2007, 11:07:51 AM »
I am researching Harrachov which I think this vase http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLMEGAARD-green-art-Vase-with-controlled-bubbles-50s_W0QQitemZ250089143846 could be but seller says Holmegaard. Can anyone say for sure if it is Holmegaard or not ? Thanks Ed.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Emerald bubble Bullet - Holmegaard ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:05:39 PM »
Attributions are always a little hit and miss from this seller.

Whilst Holmegaard did do some work with controlled bubbles in the late 1950s / early 1960s (predominantly paperweights, solifleur vases and candleholders), and in a similar colour, I'm 99% sure that this isn't by them.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 01:53:10 PM »
Altho I'm not sure I think this is Swedish.
I see a lot of these controlled bubble vases here, mainly made by Magnor in Norway and a variety of Swedish makers.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »
Thanks Pinkspoons. I didn't even think it was a Holmegaard color but you're the boss.
Thanks Alexander. I didn't think of Magnor. I think the bubbles in this are the really tiny ones. Most of the second tier Swedish makers do larger bubbles, so I thought. Ed.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
Thanks Pinkspoons. I didn't even think it was a Holmegaard color...

I have a large suncatcher / wall-plate in a colour that looks very similar, at least on my monitor. Holmegaard's greens seem to vary quite a lot, though. I've at least four pieces that are supposed to be Ædelgrøn (as bold and green as green can get), but instead they're either a bit yellowy or a bit bluey, or just plain old insipid and wishy-washy.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »
Nail mould glass has been made by dozens of makers as far afield as Argentina and Japan so any unsigned nail mould vase will depend for  attribution on a/ signatures and marks  b/ identical ones with labels. I would not trust an ID by colour or shape alone, or by quality, or by hunch.

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 04:56:45 PM »
Nail mould glass > Interesting and probably accurate name - thanks Ivo. I guess that includdes all arranged bubble items. You don't see so much with the really tiny bubbles tho. esp after you knock out the top designer stuff which is usually signed or easily attributed. I don't know about Argentina. I do know about Sasaki which I have only seen in an almost electric blue. Their bubbles are small but these are even smaller than they do.

hunch> Sure. I'm just gatherng some possible examples at this stage. I have one labelled example and one ID'd by a Czech expert with designer. Later I'll show them all to a contact at Harrachov. They have all the pattern books going way back.

Holmegaard colors - Thanks for the run down 'spoons. I like the Holmegaard yellowy greens but I fnd much Holmegaard wishy washy.  Ed.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
Very similar vase (green slightly different - and 13.5 cm tall) with a Kastrup sticker was sold on Ebay in June 2002.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »
I did consider Kastrup, but I don't have any examples of their controlled bubble output to compare against.

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:50:08 PM »
Ahhh Kastrup. Yes I could accept that much more easily. I do have an example of their controlled bubble output - see next topic "Jacob did it first" and if this one were cheaper and I liked it better I'd buy it just to compare bubbles. It's ok but $60 can go a long way on the Bay these days. Ed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand