Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: ID of red textured (bark) vase  (Read 587 times)

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
ID of red textured (bark) vase
« on: June 26, 2007, 08:52:06 PM »
Okay I know this is not Whitefriars despite what the seller says - but does anyone know who did make it or how old it is?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170123585169

See here for a real Whitefriars one - http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=2840

thanks
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
Re: ID of red textured (bark) vase
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:05:08 PM »
Ingrid glass?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • quaint and curious glass
    • Leiden, Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »
I have one of these;,Oberglas Austria has been the attribution for a long time though it cannot be verified - so it just might be Humppila after all.

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »
Hi, sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've been away trying to sell some plants at the Royal Norfolk Show :-\ :-X 

I've seen them attributed to Ingrid Glashütte before (never definitive though).  They seem to be a common attribution to these bark/ice textured lumps of lead crystal.

Ivo - how would you say the quality of yours compares to Whitefriars?  I have never knowingly handled anything from Oberglas (and they don't seem to be in your wonderful little book!). 

I will have to keep looking for one with a label...
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • quaint and curious glass
    • Leiden, Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:14:52 PM »
Absolutely at level with WF quality; polished bottom et al. Problem with Oberglas is they are a conglomerate and operate many factories; they also are predominantly packaging industry, and little was published about their sidelines in coloured hollow glass. They are listed in the book under the name STöLZLE-Oberglas.

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand