No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Brockwitz Lady figurine or Similar  (Read 1587 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Opalescent Brockwitz Lady figurine or Similar
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »
I bought this opalescent lady figurine recently, after looking through Black Poppy's  website I found she had a couple of the same figurine, maker as Brockwitz, after talking to Sue she told me she had never seem one in opalescent before, has anyone else
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7690
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7691

thanks roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Decolucretia

• Members
Re: Opalescent Brockwitz Lady figurine or Similar
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 05:49:44 AM »
Hi Roy,

Pamela might have some clues here.  She was recently kind enough to send me a copy of the Brockwitz catalogue showing your lovely lady (c1936) but I couldn't see any mention of colour/s.  I have personally never seen one either and am quite jealous!  They usually appear in matt colours and I've seen green, blue, pink, amber and clear - never opalescent.  There was a thread about this lady a while back and differences with models (more or less detail in hair, etc) - I'm not sure how to paste the thread here - perhaps someone else can help.

Out of curiousity, can you tell whether she has a peg base?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 09:51:42 AM »
Hi

She does not have a peg base, I did take the base of and she has a threaded screw which goes into the base, there may have been a peg at sometime but looking very closely I can see no sign of where one may have been grounddown etc, the base looks untouched, I was also sent a page from the Brockwitz catalogue and although both figures look very similar and looking  there does seems to be some slight differences, the angle of her arms seem to be in reverse eg the right arm on my figure is the highest on and left arm the lower one , while in the catalogue its the opposite way, also her draped dress seems to show more on opposite sides, maybe its just the way she appears in the drawings in the catalogue

I have just found and read through the earlier thread on the figure

regards roy

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 09:26:29 PM »
just wanted to let you know that I saw this - I am not ignorant, but cannot help immediately  :o
she is Brockwitz I presume, but it would be the FIRST EVER opalescent glass from B. I see - I join you somehow jealous - what a find!! :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:41:46 PM »
cannot trace the former thread also, but wasn't it:
the left elbow is in horizontal line with her eyes?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 09:42:19 PM »
Hi

Thanks for your replys, I know people are busy and never expect people to reply straight away , I am a very patient person and the GMB is a great site with many helpful people who are willing to share there knowledge, as to the figure I would not have known what if any opalescent glass Brockwitz made, also that many molds changed hands I did wonder if it may have been made later by another maker, and when I bought the figure I did not realise that it may be a great find

many thanks mhgcgolfclub Roy

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:06:14 PM »
all this is said, IF mine should be genuine - who knows? I do not :-X
Pamela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand