No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian Genie Bottle  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Italian Genie Bottle
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:47:48 PM »
Just wondered if anyone knows the maker of this bottle vase? It's hand blown. It's a bit darker than the usual opaline blue colour I see on Italian glass. Maybe from Empoli or Tuscany?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_49706.jpg

Stopper missing unfortunetly. It is just over 20 inches high.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Italian Genie Bottle
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:41:07 PM »
Definitely Empoli and unless there are signs to the contrary I don't think there has been a stopper.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »
Thank you Ivo.

No signs but there was a lot of glue sticking on it, maybe the stopper came loose and they tried to glued it on. They made a messy job though and missed most of the hole.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:02:47 PM »
WEll, looks same shape and rim as my Empoli one. I don't think it's possible to ID a maker fore sure Maybe several glasshouses there made them but I do know that Cristalleria Arno made stuff in this color which they call opalina celeste in the 60's. Ed.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:16:55 PM »
TC just as a thought, rather than a stopper perhaps it has had a lamp adapter stuck in at some time to make it into a table lamp?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
Varients in shape and sometimes with a pattern appear frequently with a "Rossini Genuine Empoli Italy" label. I can't find out who or what Rossini is. I used to think a maker until I saw the Rossini made in Japan label.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »
Varients in shape and sometimes with a pattern appear frequently with a "Rossini Genuine Empoli Italy" label. I can't find out who or what Rossini is. I used to think a maker until I saw the Rossini made in Japan label.

An importer maybe?

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
Maybe but as I said I can't verify who or what they are; whether importer, exporter, wholesaler, retailer, design studio or just a trade mark / trading name for another company. Ed.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 12:26:48 PM »
Rossini was one of the Empoli manufacturers (together with Vetreria Empoli and Toso Bagnoli) of the 50s and 60s.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 09:09:48 PM »
Firstly, thank you for the responses to this thread, a few names I have never heard of and I will look into those. Maybe keep an eye on all the decanter/bottle vases on ebay with labels too. Items baring the Opalina Fiorentina label sometimes have this kind of opalina blue, not sure if the labels are seen on decanters yet though.

TC just as a thought, rather than a stopper perhaps it has had a lamp adapter stuck in at some time to make it into a table lamp?

Yes, might explain why so much glue. Forgot to say there was a bunch of flowers inside the decanter when I bought it so might well have been used as a vase.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand