No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Confirmation/Info for this Carnival Glass dish/bowl and jug please?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
I've got these two pieces of Carnival Glass and have checked them out on David Doty's site. I think I've found one but not the other. Click on the picture below for a larger image, and there are more pictures at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/Jun%2029/

First is a bowl, nearly 7" diameter ~ I think it's Imperial's Heavy Grape, but would like confirmation.
On the website, it says that "Imperial's Heavy Grape pattern is distinguished by a quilted diamond effect around the edge and has a simple fluted back." Mine has the fluted back but not the quilting (I think ~ I'm not 100% sure what quilting is in relation to glass, but this dish is smooth apart from the leaves & grapes).

However, also mentioned (and pictured on a bowl which looks very like this one but in blue) is a "rare variant without the quilting" ~ see http://www.ddoty.com/heavygrapeimp.html and I hoped that was what I have here!

Second is a jug or large creamer ~ the design is obviously some form of hobstar, but can't find the exact one. The nearest I can find for the jug is Imperial's Hobstar but that has a fan between the large 'stars' and mine has a smaller star! (see http://www.ddoty.com/hobstar.html)

Many thanks in anticipation, John.

Note to Moderator ~ Sorry I don't have time to put these pictures on the Gallery at the moment, but I will do so as soon as possible, promise!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Re: Confirmation/Info for this Carnival Glass dish/bowl and jug please?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »
Hi John, your creamer is Snow Fancy by Imperial Glass.  See http://www.ddoty.com/snowfancy.html

Still checking on the bowl but I think Indiana did some repros in the 1970s like that.

cheers
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:20:51 PM »
Thanks very much for that information Tim.
Have had a look at Indiana's grape patterns and haven't found the same one yet ~ would really appreciate it if you could find out any more. Am still hoping that mine is the 'rare variant'!!
Many thanks again, John.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 05:55:27 AM »
Hi John Imperial Heavy Grape it is. The quilting is a light effect on the interior and to quote Glen in 'Carnival Glass: The Magic and the Mystery' "...on some items this cannot be seen too well due to the secondary shaping of the piece". Price $2 a dozen... Oh no that was in 1911!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand