No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1961 Whitefriars Decanter ??  (Read 2039 times)

Offline antiqueplastique

• Members
1961 Whitefriars Decanter ??
« on: July 07, 2007, 10:41:51 AM »
hi everyone.

First time here from Melbourne Australia.

Ive got a small but growing collection of British and scandinavian glass (50s - 70s) amongst others..

wondering if anyone can help identify this glass. I believe it may be a rare one by Whitefriars during 1961 when they briefly made a series of blue and red glass with white ceramic glazes in stripes / swirl patterns. But the ceramic didnt stick to the glass very well and the production was stopped shortly after.

Ive posted it on whitefriars.com too but they are undecided so far. (60% yes / 40% no)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7798

thanks
Ged

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiqueplastique

• Members
Re: 1961 Whitefriars Decanter ??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:47:50 AM »
forgot to mention

Height to top of stopper: 33cm Base diam: 7.5cm Diam across top: 4 cm THANKS

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »
Hello Ged,

How about a picture of the base - or at least a detailed description?

Thanks, Nigel

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 01:49:55 PM »
I've seen an attributed Whitefriars piece similar to this shape but without stopper and unfortunately no description of whether it was a vase or a decanter(without stopper).  The trailing on yours however, it much more intense and a bit "blobby" from the one I've seen which was much finer trailed and no big blobby bits.
So, unless someone here knows of another definite attribution, I suppose there's a chance it could be Whitefriars, but really needs a proper look in the flesh!  Sorry, I know I seem to be sitting on the fence, but it looks a lovely piece whatever it is and worth displaying and enjoying.  Emmi

PS Have a look at this..the trailing is quite different
http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/ref1.htm

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:16:53 AM »
http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/ref1.htm

I have to say the decanter trailing is very similar to bowl , bottom left,
and shape very much like bottle, bottom right!
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »
Yes, I suppose the freehand trailing is just that.....freehand.  So will come in different thickness of application.  But still not aware of a decanter in the Whitefriars production of this trailed design, so still unsure whether or not this is Whitefriars.  But it's good to see the photo posted, it may turn up in someone's collection and then can be identified properly. Emmi

Offline antiqueplastique

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:01:56 AM »
thanks for all your responses so far.
I got it back out of storage today and had a closer look. The bottom is polished completely flat and the white stripes are actually in the middle of the glass rather than an exterior application. How did WF do it ? The stripes are a combination of very thin and thick stripes and swirls.
The stopper doesnt sit perfectly level in the bottle but I really doubt its been married from something else as its such a close match.

The only other glass I can think of with similar style is Venetian but I doubt its that old.

It does look verrrry much like the bottle vase at the bottom right on the whitefriars link. Maybe they are missing the stopper ??

Thanks

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »
The Whitefriars vases in the photo all have a surface application of enamel -like trailing and the stoppers on all Whitefriars decanters are made to fit, usually having a number on both stopper in rim of decanter that matches up.  I have seen a large jug in a local collectors centre which is not attributed to any particular factory and it is the same colouring and with streaky white within the glass.  My feeling is that it may be Italian...but it's only a feeling. Emmi

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »
Hello again Ged,

Thanks for the extra info about the decanter.

Emmi is right that WF are more than likely to have made a good fit between the stopper peg and the decanter neck, most usually with a polished, tapering peg. This is, as she says, a little worrying. Together with a totally flat base it is more so, since WF would have finished a hand made piece such as this with a ground and polished concave pontil. Certainly this is the case with other items from this range of wares.

My instinct is towards this decanter not being WF and more likely Continental.

Nothing like handling an item to back one's huntches/judgement though .............so, who knows, you could prove us wrong!

Whatever it is it's a nice looking piece. Good luck with the search.

Nigel 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand